• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stretchy skin

Thinktank

I've always had a sensitive skin, but ever since the onset of ME it has become hyper stretchy and saggy, especially my face and neck-area. It kinda bothers me because it's getting worse.
I know that "stretchy" skin is a symptom of EDS, but what else can it be? Loss of collagen and elastine?
Does anyone else suffer this problem?

Crux

I've been reading about copper deficiency lately, and skin laxity is one sign of it. Copper enzymes are needed for the synthesis of collagen and elastin.

It's been about 1 1/2 months that I've been taking it. My skin is much better, not perfect, but noticeable.

Helen

Thinktank

@Crux, i've tested low on copper in RBC, also my ceruloplasmin is low.
I remember once reading that a copper peptide cream can do wonders on the face for those with collagenic problems.

How much copper do you take? I'm not sure if it's wise to take copper alone, i'd probably add some zinc glycinate.

@Helen, thanks. I know that mycoplasma which i tested positive for, also loves to munch on collagen.
My doc. isn't sure if i still have lyme disease, but am rather dealing with the after effects and the damage it has created.

Crux

@Thinktank ,

I keep ending up on Dr. Pickart's site. He's one of the few researchers who doesn't drone on about copper toxicity.

Our bodies are efficient with the disposal of copper through bile.

I haven't tried the products - they are bound to amino acids. They seem to work. He's conducted many tests.

I take 2-3 mgs. of either copper glycinate, or copper sebacate daily.

I also take some zinc.