Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Stress Management Skills, Cortisol Awakening Response, and Post-Exertional Malaise in CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Free full text: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4165790/

alex3619 and AndyPR like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The abstract doesn't make clear that there were 2 ways of measuring the cortisol awakening response and only one was related to PSMS or PEM severity:

I think a lot of people would consider the CARi as the more specific measure of the cortisol awakening response. The CARg is more like the total cortisol rather than something specific to the cortisol awakening response.

They didn't use the other 2 cortisol measurements so one can't tell whether the same findings would hold up if one also used the other to cortisol measurements (i.e. later in the day).

3. Murph

Murph :)

Makes sense to me. Very stressful times in my life saw my cfs deteriorate. I dealt with the stress (quit my job) and eventually got out of decline and back to a path where I've been able to improve.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The questionnaire on the website has 23 questions. I'm not sure why there are more than 17 questions mentioned in the description but I haven't looked closely.

http://www.psy.miami.edu/faculty/ccarver/sclMOCS.html

Valentijn likes this.
  5. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

If the CAR is related to the symptom "difficulties getting up in the morning", then I suspect this is just an indicator of being in PEM (or having messed up sleep cycles).

Thinking about it, I'm not sure if there have been studies that actually test the intervention "PEM education and activity reduction" in newly diagnosed patients.

SamanthaJ, Jan, Webdog and 2 others like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The authors do briefly mention other ways the data can be looked at:
    Illness severity might be an independent variable associated with both PEM and cortisol levels.

Valentijn, A.B. and alex3619 like this.
  7. ash0787

ash0787 Senior Member

These researchers are reaching a conclusion first and then looking for data to justify it ... im sick of people trying to insinuate that we are suffering from stress, anxiety etc

See more popular forum discussions.