• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Streptococcus overgrowth

The other thing I add is if you give him antibiotics then be really careful with his diet as few as carbs as possible. I don't really know there is a possibility because he young he will just give over it with the right antibiotic , I got this in my 20's and a week on trimethoprim it would just go ,now in my 40's it's such a hard battle

Elph68

Hey Streppy & Elph68,
My son age 13 has been severely sick for 3 years. Been seeing same Dr as you since 2013. Had dramatic decline in health age 10 but had gut problems since birth. Became wheelchair bound and Dr Kenny got him walking again with high dose B12 in 2013 but he never got back to normal or able to go to school and had previously been a super athlete. Then in 2014 he had emergency surgery involving a bowel resection for a congential abnormality in the bowel which explained a lot as his ileum was infected and ulcerated. (Of course converntional Drs still won't accept his fatigue is related.) Did 6 weeks IV in his clinic earlier this year for Lyme but looks like the Lyme was a red herring and the real problem is the gut. So Dr K started treating the strep with Rifaximin in May and the latest stool results today show another increase in strep so very disheartened. On the bright side my son has improved hugely since starting GAPS/ketogenic diet and cutting out carbs so no more d-lactate etc poisoning him. But really worried about the increase in strep as I believe once the strep is gone he will recover.
You guys seem to know a lot. I have given him silver before but probably not enough for long enough. But wary of silver as he already has the usual heavy metals and toxicity that comes with this illness.I understand FMT won't help as in the small intestine.
Any other ideas to get on top of the strep.
What do you think?

Hi Izzy,

this is the full anti strep treatment with or without antibiotic support ..... And remember this is not advice but what I have worked out and now use ........

Antibiotic support can either be high dose for a short period, or lower doses for longer

Kill the bugs ......

Wild Oregano Oil (drops under tongue and capsule)
(Olive leaf extract or Grapefruit seed extract also helps)
Lauricidin or Interfase plus
xlear drops in eyes and nose

1 tsp of bicarb of soda 3x per day
1 tsp tumeric 3 x per day ... I mix these together in water with psyllium husk
1 TBSP of Codliver oil

methylcobalamin - 1ml under tongue
Proteolytic enzymes (a little more than just digestive enzymes)
Prescript Assist - Soil based probiotic (or similar)
Saccharomyces Boulardii
Brewers yeast
Kefir colonic flushing and oral consumption (coconut water is probably best)
Co Q10
Magnesium Chelate
Selenium

Green tea with grated ginger, cinamon, lemon and sweetened with xylitol (sometimes i use Manuka Honey)
xylitol chewing gum
Oil pulling .... 1 tbsp of sesame oil swished around the mouth for 10+ minutes before brushing
Good quality unsalted butter (eat it like a piece of cheese) Contains butric acid which feeds the colon cells
Bone Broth

Plenty of fermented foods, Fats and protein (eat plenty of fish and eggs), ginger, garlic, lemon and chilli, leafy green vegetables .... No simple carbs or sugars, no yoghurt or milk, no fruit (strep love fruit), no wheat or legumes..

Get outside, go to a forest and get really muddy regularly ........ Eat some dirt, but right away from civilization ....

This protocol will kill the bugs, rebuild the immune system and put good bugs back to replace what is killed.

Antibiotics will accelerate the results ..... Best antibiotics are clarithromycin or erythromycin if a macrolide hasn't been used in the last 6 months.

Theoretically persistence with this regime should bring close to full health within a year .....

It works for me .....

Cheers.

Last edited:

Jenny TipsforME

This new research seems relevant to the thread
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1984006315000632
Sleep quality and the treatment of intestinal microbiota imbalance in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A pilot study
  • Melinda L. Jackson
  • Henry Butt
  • Michelle Ball
  • Donald Lewis
  • Dorothy Bruck
Show more
Abstract
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is a multisystem illness, which may be associated with imbalances in gut microbiota. This study builds on recent evidence that sleep may be influenced by gut microbiota, by assessing whether changes to microbiota in a clinical population known to have both poor sleep and high rates of colonization with gram-positive faecal Streptococcus, can improve sleep. Twenty-one CFS participants completed a 22- day open label trial. Faecal microbiota analysis was performed at baseline and at the end of the trial. Participants were administered erythromycin 400 mg b.d. for 6 days. Actigraphy and questionnaires were used to monitor sleep, symptoms and mood. Changes in patients who showed a clinically significant change in faecalStreptococcus after treatment (responders; defined as post-therapy distribution<6%) were compared to participants who did not respond to treatment. In the seven responders, there was a significant increase in actigraphic total sleep time (p=0.028) from baseline to follow up, compared with non-responders. Improved vigour scores were associated with a lower Streptococcus count (ρ=−0.90, p=0.037). For both the responders and the whole group, poorer mood was associated with higher Lactobacillus. Short term antibiotic treatment appears to be insufficient to effect sustainable changes in the gut ecosystem in most CFS participants. Some improvement in objective sleep parameters and mood were found in participants with reduced levels of gram-positive gut microbiota after antibiotic treatment, which is encouraging. Further study of possible links between gut microorganisms and sleep and mood disturbances is warranted.
I'm not keen on idea of lots of antibiotics though.

renski

Green tea with grated ginger, cinamon, lemon and sweetened with xylitol (sometimes i use Manuka Honey)
xylitol chewing gum
Oil pulling .... 1 tbsp of sesame oil swished around the mouth for 10+ minutes before brushing
Good quality unsalted butter (eat it like a piece of cheese) Contains butric acid which feeds the colon cells
Bone Broth

Plenty of fermented foods, Fats and protein (eat plenty of fish and eggs), ginger, garlic, lemon and chilli, leafy green vegetables .... No simple carbs or sugars, no yoghurt or milk, no fruit (strep love fruit), no wheat or legumes..

Just to comment, some of this goes against the low fodmap diet, like xyitol and garlic, vegetables such as asparagus etc. Things like asparagus make my symptoms (insomnia) worse, so I can only assume its feeding the strep overgrowth. I'm not using digestive enzymes, will be adding them in though.

I'm dealing with strep overgrowth, NG of lactobacillus and bifidobacterium... plus a range of other issues thyroid, low glutathione, high cortisol (possibly CBS up-regluation) the list goes on. Not really helpful for this I guess but will try to update if I make progress.

Last edited:
I am the same things like garlic onions Brussels sports veg with high FOS just make me worse. I try and avoid them. But you know it's really hard to eat just green veg meat and fish for months. Well I find it hard

Hi I am new to this site and had recently had a test done by Bioscreen and it has said I have the following"-
Enterococcus sp:- Overgrowth
Klebsiella sp: Overgrowth
Total Aerobic Flora: Overgrowth
E.Coli: Undetected
Been to see an intergrated doctor and he has put me on some medications to try and kill it. Candisol to kill Candida, Dr Best Enzymes to break up abnormal biofilms, Inner Defence Cap for Klebsiella, Taiga for Enterococcus. Arabinex Powder to try and basically put some good stuff in my stomach, proboitic and later to start Mutaflor. Am also on compounded minerals and some homeopathic drops. Ooops not to forget the Fess Sinu-Cleanse Isotonic Nasal Wash with (Sodium Chloride - Silver drop) need to do this twice a day for 3 months. Kill the strep in the head...seriously so much has come out.

Prior to this I had seen a Naturopath who said take some Candex, well it was like my whole body was thrown all over the place, hence seeing the doctor that I am now seeing. At times I have honestly thought I was going to die with everything that had been happening to me. I did not know one person could have so many bowel motions and still be here.

It has been really interesting reading everyone's journeys and I am happy to chat with you all and if I can learn something else that will help that would be fantastic.

Really just want all this gone!

I am the same things like garlic onions Brussels sports veg with high FOS just make me worse. I try and avoid them. But you know it's really hard to eat just green veg meat and fish for months. Well I find it hard
Sorry for my ignorance, can I ask what FOS is?
I totally hear you about the veg meat and fish...very hard to live a normal life when we are so restricted.

Sorry for my ignorance, can I ask what FOS is?
I totally hear you about the veg meat and fish...very hard to live a normal life when we are so restricted.
Fos is a prebiotic , it's a carboydate that feeds the bacteria in your intestine . If you are well it works well and feeds the good bacteria but if your out of balance it can just make it worse

Hi @Bollie, just wondering what your Streptococcus situation was in the Bioscreen results - did you have a Strep overgrowth??

Hi I am new to this site and had recently had a test done by Bioscreen and it has said I have the following"-
Been to see an intergrated doctor and he has put me on some medications to try and kill it. Candisol to kill Candida, Dr Best Enzymes to break up abnormal biofilms, Inner Defence Cap for Klebsiella, Taiga for Enterococcus. Arabinex Powder to try and basically put some good stuff in my stomach, proboitic and later to start Mutaflor. Am also on compounded minerals and some homeopathic drops. Ooops not to forget the Fess Sinu-Cleanse Isotonic Nasal Wash with (Sodium Chloride - Silver drop) need to do this twice a day for 3 months. Kill the strep in the head...seriously so much has come out.

Prior to this I had seen a Naturopath who said take some Candex, well it was like my whole body was thrown all over the place, hence seeing the doctor that I am now seeing. At times I have honestly thought I was going to die with everything that had been happening to me. I did not know one person could have so many bowel motions and still be here.

It has been really interesting reading everyone's journeys and I am happy to chat with you all and if I can learn something else that will help that would be fantastic.

Elph68

Would you mind explaining further about what you do with the kefir grains? Hope I am not being too thick!

Thanks

Pam
Hi Pam,

Some of us have been using kefir grains as a colonic flush. Kefir supposedly has a big pile of good bacteria,

There are various ways, I have been using about half a cup of kefir milk/water and blend in about a tsp of grains with a bamix and use a turkey baster to get them in the colon ..... Lay on the left side and I do it before bed so it at least stays in overnight .....

Cheers

renski

If you haven't already, I think you want to get a doctors data (or similar) test done as well as bioscreen, a comprehensive stool analysis with parasitology x3.. something like that.. which will pick up other bacteria that the Bioscreen doesn't. At least in my situation I've got strep overgrowth but have other bacteria which need to be treated as well. I guess you can just throw in any antimicrobial and it may kill off everything (like grapefruit seed extract) but from my own experience it needs to be targeted.

Last edited:
I was really worried about precript assit because it contains a prebiotic and in general i found that FOS and GOS make my strep worse. so this morning i did some google searches! the formula includes leonardite, a prebiotic composition of humic and fulvic acids. - See more at: http://www.prescript-assist.com/#sthash.G5SZVbjb.dpuf

so i googled leonardite and strep and nothing came up...

but then i googled humic and fulvic acid and strep and i found this article https://resources.oncourse.iu.edu/a...lic Documents/Witcher_Phillip MURI poster.pdf

it appears that it kills strep! Elph68 and another patient in this thread have been using it with good results

Hi all
Couple of weeks ago commenced on Amoxycillin 500gm 3 x daily (compounded), to take for one week and then week off for a total of 8 weeks. Then to go on Mutaflor. also commenced a low carb diet due to the strep degrading starch and glycogen, hopefully to starve the strep. Previous treatment with erythromycin didn't do anything.

Found it interesting to find nothing mentioned about biotin though . . .when researching about Strep g. I read
"streptococcus bovis strains show an ABSOLUTE requirement only for BIOTIN, while thiamine stimulates growth and has no requirement for any other amino acid"

Has anyone tried reducing biotin . . . I find that if I supplement with biotin or thiamine that I feel much worse and that's because it feeds the strep.

Interested in anyones thoughts on this or has anybody tried it. . . very hard to eliminate all foods with it but its worth reducing foods high in biotin (for a while, a biotin deficiency isn't funny. . . affects to many systems)

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
Just wanted to share that I had high levels of strep in a Bioscreen test. I've been taking Panaxea Gut Bug Formula for over 3 months now and have had great improvement with gut issues.

Still need to keep to a strict diet, but the improvements are a relief after over 4 years of IBS and pain.

I got this product through a naturopath. I am taking a small dose (1/4 capsule per day) due to sensitivities to meds. It made me feel unwell for the first few days then no side effects.

I also started 1/4 teaspoon of green banana flour (resistant starch) per day at the same time as starting the Gut Bug Formula.

Best wishes Andy

Tammy

Another vote for Silver against Strep. I know someone from another support group who took it for almost a year.....she said it is actually pretty gentle. I don't recall how much she took.

Thanks Andy & Tammy
I've been on a tablespoon of green banana flour (resistant starch) for over 6 months.
Have taken note of the Panaxea Gut Bug Formula and have it on my list to use at a later date, after current treatment.

thanks
genie

VSL3 – This is a popular probiotic that has been tested to ensure that the bacteria count in the final product is what the label states it is. However, it does contain S. thermophilus.

I did not know this I wonder if my strep levels are higher because I taken it

Hi Streppy
I don't think that will affect your strep levels unless its S.thermophilus you have an overgrowth of as the Bioscreen test (if you have had it) shows the different strains of Streptococcus.
The VSL3 probiotic though contains 8 strains (see below) and include Lactobacillus (which are lactic acid producing bacteria) and Streptococcus gallyoticus is also lactic acid producing, so if you have S. gallyoticus overgrowth then you may feel worse because of the lactic acid from the Lactobacillus

Bifidobacterium breve
Bifidobacterium longum
Bifidobacterium infantis
Lactobacillus acidophilus
Lactobacillus plantarum
Lactobacillus paracasei
Lactobacillus bulgaricus
Streptococcus thermophiles

regards
genie