• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Streptococcus overgrowth

knackers323

just started taking oregano oil and helps hugely with brain fog. head becomes clear within an hour. the reasons for this are many. again too many options and questions to deal with

renski

Latest bioscreen results, after 6 weeks on erythromycin. I guess doing testing while on antibiotics is not a good idea, interesting to see streptococcus parasanguinis maybe resistant to erythromycin. My symptoms have only improved a little bit and things went backwards big time a few days after this test, so I think the antibiotics are only suppressing things temporarily, and maybe there is more bacteria hiding that the antibiotics aren't even getting to.

Attachments

• bioscreen_June.pdf
    53.1 KB · Views: 53

knackers323

Anyone here have their genes tested by 23andme? If so, what do you have for TNF-308 rs1800629? I'm AA--about 2% of the population has AA. According to this study, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3758727/ having AA could be definitive for a diagnosis of PANDAS. Isn't that what we have, just as adults? It all ties into this gene causing really high levels of TNF-a in response to strep bacteria which, in turn, causes very high inflammation in the brain. Lactate is part of the brain dysfunction but I think inflammation is a big part of it too.

This really solidifies this for me. If you don't have this gene then you are lucky. I have to admit, I'm feeling a bit hopeless. This involves an autoimmune process that infects the brain and I have a dang gene that is causing it. I'm looking into TNF-alpha inhibitors. They are used for other autoimmune conditions, why wouldn't it work for this?

Noelle

@Noella77 did you look into or try the tnf treatments?

@Streppy how did the phage therapy work out?

Everyone else. How soon after eating something you shouldn't do you get symptoms?

renski

@renski looks like you need mutaflor, align and Culturelle. I didn't read far back in the thread but are you taking those while on antibiotics?

@Noellea77, I can't tolerate any probiotics, most either make me hyper or some other random symptom like more depression or spaced out. I'm pretty sure I have SIBO (am doing the breath test tomorrow to confirm) and that's why I can't tolerate probiotics. Trying Rifixamin this week with a sibo diet to see if things improve. Also doing a new CDSA with Genova to see what other pathogenic bacteria could be messing me up. So much fun..

How's everyone going with their treatments?

I got my Bioscreen last week (first result) 19% Ecoli and 77.95% strep overgrowth (mostly strep anginosus). There are some other imbalances but those 2 are the main offenders.

They also picked up stage 3 adrenal fatigue through an Adrenocortex stress profile.

I'm starting treatment soon: Ampicillin SR 500mg, Bi-Carb Soda/Alkalife, Mutaflor, BioOne (Lactobacillus Rhamnosus), B12 1500mcg, Vit K2 45ug, Creon and "no added sugar or fruits".

I suffered from repeated Strep Throat incidents 25 years ago and went on and off antibiotics for it, with not much luck, problem went away when I had my tonsils out. Dr suspects the Strep found a home in my gut ever since. Has anyone else with Strep overgrowth results in the gut also suffered from Strep Throat as a child?

Tammy

Strep can be a bugger and tends to become very anti-biotic resistant. Some supplements that can be helpful for strep include Goldenseal (best to take on and off), Vit. C, Zinc, Olive leaf, oregano oil, lumatium root, mullein leaf and monolaurin.

outdamnspot

@Noellea77, I can't tolerate any probiotics, most either make me hyper or some other random symptom like more depression or spaced out. I'm pretty sure I have SIBO (am doing the breath test tomorrow to confirm) and that's why I can't tolerate probiotics. Trying Rifixamin this week with a sibo diet to see if things improve. Also doing a new CDSA with Genova to see what other pathogenic bacteria could be messing me up. So much fun..

Is intolerance of probiotics a known symptom of SIBO? all probiotics make me way more depressed/spacey too ..

renski

Is intolerance of probiotics a known symptom of SIBO? all probiotics make me way more depressed/spacey too ..

I'm able to tolerate Metagenics ultraflora spectrum, but I have a lot of other issues going on.. and I tested negative for SIBO. Most likely have strep SIBO (which is really just strep overgrowth?) and Candida overgrowth (small intestine/SIFO). I have a chronic toxicity issue (heavy metals and phthalates and whatever else) which seems to be at the root of my problems. There is always other factors and everyone is different unfortunately..

Elph68

Has anyone managed to overcome their Strep?
I have, I completely obliterated it with oral vancomycin in combination with ciprofloxican, augmentin duo forte and azithromycin.

Now I just have some immune system issues which we have found to be caused by Staphlyococcus eperdidimis in he mucosa.

Killing strep in the gut cured my brain fog, dizziness, severe lethargy, cognitive dysfunction, sleep problems, balance issues and ibs.

Strep and staph live in the biofilms together and when you kill one off, the other survives as staph is much more resistant to abx. Than strep. .... And each are as bad as the other for activating the immune system and avoiding the bodies defences.

So it is achievable ....

outdamnspot

I have, I completely obliterated it with oral vancomycin in combination with ciprofloxican, augmentin duo forte and azithromycin.

Now I just have some immune system issues which we have found to be caused by Staphlyococcus eperdidimis in he mucosa.

Killing strep in the gut cured my brain fog, dizziness, severe lethargy, cognitive dysfunction, sleep problems, balance issues and ibs.

Strep and staph live in the biofilms together and when you kill one off, the other survives as staph is much more resistant to abx. Than strep. .... And each are as bad as the other for activating the immune system and avoiding the bodies defences.

So it is achievable ....

How did you test for Staph?

So it is achievable ....

Did you take any probiotic and/or ferments while on this hardcore antibiotic therapy?. Also how long did you take it and what dosage?

Elph68

How did you test for Staph?
Staph is 'normal flora' so it is difficult to find a lab that will report on it. I flew to China to have my urogenital problems sorted and the clinic had their own lab so they had a look for me and told me what was in my 'normal flora' .... They found lots of staph and no strep .....

Elph68

Did you take any probiotic and/or ferments while on this hardcore antibiotic therapy?. Also how long did you take it and what dosage?
I took vancomycin 3x per day for a month .... I also had ciprofloxican, augmentin duo forte and azithromycin as part of the cocktail ... But that was for the high e-coli and citrobacter fruendii.

I used a colonic flush of kefir milk after treatment finished.

Cheers.

outdamnspot

I saw my doctor today. She wants me to start taking Oil of Oregano before trying antibiotics for the strep (she doesn't think I'd tolerate them at this stage).

I've read Oregano can kill off beneficial flora too. Is that true?

Elph68

I saw my doctor today. She wants me to start taking Oil of Oregano before trying antibiotics for the strep (she doesn't think I'd tolerate them at this stage).

I've read Oregano can kill off beneficial flora too. Is that true?
Yes .... Oregano oil is a broad spectrum antimicrobal

Elph68

@Elph68 ,
Is every streptococcus in the gut seen as pathogenic?

I've now developed a streptococcus overgrowth after 3 months rifaximin.
Depends who you talk to ..... It seems to be the biofilm forming ones that cause the most grief ..... And they aren't so much pathogenic, it is more about them taking over and putting things out of balance by producing too many toxins ...