• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Strategies for not thinking about pain

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
The majority of the time I'm not in pain, but recently I've had a lot more trouble with pain than ever before. Since pain isn't one of my usual symptoms, I'm not as good at coping with it as I am at coping with other symptoms.

One thing I'm noticing is that it's hard to be in pain when you're tired in bed, because there's nothing to distract from the pain. When I'm able to be up up and about, I've noticed that the pain doesn't seem so bad because my attention is focused on other things.

Have any of you developed good strategies for not thinking about pain, or refocusing your attention elsewhere? Or have you tried any visualization strategies that help ease the pain a bit?

Sundancer

during my half year in bed I had a lot of pain and sleeplessness. I tend to try to focus on my breathing, to breath to the abdomen, in....out....in...out...
I came through that half year, but do not care to repeat the experience. Is there anyway you can diminish the pain? do you know why you have more pain?

Hope you'll soon feel a little better

jesse's mom

I have had pain and sleepless as the hallmark of my illness since 2011. Standing in the shower long enough to wash my hair causes this spark like pain down the back of my legs. My arms hurt in the muscles and joints, my joints do not swell. My neck is better now that I know I have to sleep on my back and put a old feather pillow right under my neck, causing constant pressure on the back of my neck. My neck still hurts badly when I over do it.

I take pain medication. I also practice meditation, on good days I practice yoga.
I also learned to knit, this keeps a little distraction without having to move much and I feel a bit productive, and creative. I am so happy when someone uses the hats and baby blankets that I make. I give most of what I make away.

Netflix rocks!

I read a book recently called "How to be Sick", it was very helpful.

being in pain is horrible! I hope you find some relief!

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
The majority of the time I'm not in pain, but recently I've had a lot more trouble with pain than ever before. Since pain isn't one of my usual symptoms, I'm not as good at coping with it as I am at coping with other symptoms.

One thing I'm noticing is that it's hard to be in pain when you're tired in bed, because there's nothing to distract from the pain. When I'm able to be up up and about, I've noticed that the pain doesn't seem so bad because my attention is focused on other things.

Have any of you developed good strategies for not thinking about pain, or refocusing your attention elsewhere? Or have you tried any visualization strategies that help ease the pain a bit?

Read from a Kindle (paperwhite). You can read in absolute darkness. When you fall asleep it will automatically turn itself off in 10 minutes. I think my Kindle has fallen on the floor beside my couch about 200 times now. It falls out of my hands even while I'm awake but starting to lose muscle tone.

Listen to music CDs. I have fallen asleep with typical "massage music" and rock (1980's Journey).

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
I´ve bought a trombone (mostly using a mute).
What a creative idea! Do you think it was the breathing that helped, the music, or a bit of both? I'm afraid I don't have access to any brass instruments, but I know that my old recorder is around here somewhere. I used to love playing baroque music on the recorder.

Is there anyway you can diminish the pain? do you know why you have more pain?
Usually I have more pain when the rest of my symptoms (fatigue, etc) are worse. Ibuprofen sometimes helps, but sometimes doesn't. This sort of pain is very deep and intense and fibromyalgia-y, and I know that medicines aren't always effective in helping it. I've heard that certain types of CBT and visualization techniques can be quite effective with dealing with pain, so I wanted to see if any of you had success in that area.

I read a book recently called "How to be Sick", it was very helpful.
I own it, too! I just don't have the energy to read it... But I read all of the author's Turning Straw into Gold blog entries!

I also practice meditation, on good days I practice yoga.
Yoga helps me on good days, too.

I also learned to knit, this keeps a little distraction without having to move much and I feel a bit productive, and creative.
I love knitting, and it would be a great distraction! But I'm often too tired to knit even a little bit--it's been a few years. I should try again. The pain is usually in my upper arms, though, so I'm afraid knitting will make it worse.

Read from a Kindle (paperwhite). You can read in absolute darkness. When you fall asleep it will automatically turn itself off in 10 minutes. I think my Kindle has fallen on the floor beside my couch about 200 times now. It falls out of my hands even while I'm awake but starting to lose muscle tone.
Yes!! The Kindle has been very helpful for reading and distracting at night, especially when I don't want to disturb my significant other. I have a special pillow that I prop it on when my hands are too tired to hold it upright.

Listen to music CDs.
Why didn't I think of that? Genius, thank you!

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
The visualization techniques I've found here have actually been very helpful. In particular, I've tried to focus very hard on a part of my body that's not in pain and that's far away from my painful arms (usually the knuckles of my big toe, for some reason). I also imagine placing something cooling and soothing right where the pain is. I have to work harder at that, but it's also been helpful.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Do you think it was the breathing that helped, the music, or a bit of both? ... recorer
I have a recorder too! I ´ve come to the whole idea because I tried to play clarinet when I was young (without much success). I don´t own one any more. But I even have a tenor recorder! This one I tried twice for the purpose and it worked. I played the low tones up to a, the following tones then didn´t please me, but in the octavation the tones worked once more.
I forgot about those two experiences. And in respect to the trombone I thought ongoing that the breathing would be of relevance in combination with the resistance of the instrument (next to the musical content itself). I thought that this induces some important focusing. But something like this must also be true with the tenor recorder, because I got resonance too, but less resistance.
I like baroque music (and very much), but with the trombone I played, next to long tones, two or three tones often in a jazzy-funky way, repeating and repeating. (So my "only" above was the first mainpoint or whatever, I am still not able to concentrate well.)
Now I think even further, if I had used to play a string I would play and sing. I would think that it would be helpful to have something other than only the voice, but I may be easily wrong.

The whole story helped somehow for wide spread pain: very heavy or squeezed legs, some degree of headache. There is real freedom in music. But music too initiates pem, sometimes late, sometimes earlier.
And all is mysterious: Now I can hear music very well (which I couldn´t during the last five years), but the resonances coming from the trombone disturb me, and blowing the trumpet makes me suddenly often fuzzy. Instead I am going to be able to do some yoga.

Last edited:

i-lava-u

Lighting candles (or even those LED ones if home alone so I don't fall asleep and burn down the house :eek:)

Heating up multiple reusable rice bags and laying them on achy areas....so cozy.
(sew a square of fabric..fill with uncooked rice...microwave a couple of minutes)

Watching relaxing videos on youtube like fireplace crackling or campfire next to river. I also like some of the ASMR videos.

It may sound creepy to some, but I actually find the pimple popping videos oddly relaxing (my husband disagrees ;))

I like to watch travel/street food shows also. This is a channel I really like https://www.youtube.com/user/settime2588/featured

I've
It may sound creepy to some, but I actually find the pimple popping videos oddly relaxing (my husband disagrees ;))

I like to watch travel/street food shows also. This is a channel I really like https://www.youtube.com/user/settime2588/featured

I've just discovered ASMR for myself a few days ago. I'd heard if it before but never bothered to try it. And yes popping pimples does sound a little weird. But so do my favorites do far, cork and combs...lol. It has helped a lot with relaxing which in turn helps my pain.

kit

I ease my pain with epsom salt baths. I use 4 - 6 cups of epsom salts and 2 cups of baking soda, soak for at least 20 minutes, and then climb into bed. If I get at all active afterward it can undo the effect, and the pain kicks back in, but if I climb right into bed, my pain stays down.