1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

strange reaction after going #2....

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by sensing progress, Jun 16, 2011.

1. sensing progress

sensing progress Senior Member

Tucson, AZ
    This is strange and Im a bit embarrassed to post here or ask my doctor but I guess I will anyway. I noticed that I often feel quite a bit worse right after defecating. Like if I have "good"/decent energy beforehand, then suddenly afterwards I feel almost light-headed and my energy level plummets. This can then last for a couple hours or more. Anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this? Obviously it seems to be gut-related I think

2. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    could it be related to blood pressure spike from straining?

I don't know, but usual advice for light-headedness and energy level plummets, is drink water, check your blood pressure (if low, use electrolyte drink), eat something safe and nourishing with protein... if none of that helps (or doesn't help enough), check with your doctor

3. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    yes, it's likely as Willow says: caused by lowered BP, because of stimulating the vagus nerve, and it even has a name: defecation syncope

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/159609.php

Or the ol' wikipedia:

.../wikipedia/en/wiki/Vasovagal_episode#Cause

and the possibility of relating to P.O.T.S. is also there, on that page.

4. sensing progress

sensing progress Senior Member

Tucson, AZ
  5. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Yes, isn't this forum grand. I was a little hesitant to read, but you were brave enought to post. Never know what you might learn on this Forum!

GG

6. Kati

Kati Patient in training

It's a vaso-vagal reaction- I have gone close to pass out after diarrhea- It is autonomic related- POTS- NMH-

I told my very nice doctor and it is the answer I got- It made a lot of sense to her.

7. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Thanks sensing progress for being brave enough to start this thread.

The answers here make me wonder now if I may have that issue too some, I'd previously thought the tiredness I get when doing that (it can really tire me out.. like as in hard work) was just cause Im often constipated, so had previously thought it was due to just energy exertion of using ones muscles there.

the more I find out about POTS, the more complex I realise that disorder can be.

See more popular forum discussions.