• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Strange Beginnings for a Highly Viral Methylation Mess

Hello,
I'll try to be brief with background. Healthy and very active until 50 years old. Stress contributed to development of chronic insomnia, candida, carb intolerance, abdominal pain/bloating, brain fog, then muscle weakness/spasms, continually swollen glands, intolerance to stress, fatigue, malaise, and frequent viral outbreaks (including HSV1, HPV, mono, Herpes zoster...).
On the plus side, I started olive leaf extract 5 months ago and have been amazed at the improvement in my gut. I still struggle with fatigue and muscle weakness/spasms , so I am revisiting the methylation protocol which I first researched when I discovered that I had MTHFR 677 and 1298 mutations. In the past, I have tried methyl b12 (capsules, subcutaneous, sublingual, liquid, and sprays). Even the smallest amounts put me into hyperdrive (can't sleep at all, talk a million miles an hour) and feel that my vascular system is going to explode. This effect gets worse with time. SAM-e, TMG, all vitamin supplements, and glutamine do the same thing.
I think I understand from Freddd's postings that I need to start with adenosylcobalamin. Unfortunately, I read the list of supplements just before his new posting recommending the removal of folic acid. I started Country Life 3000 mcg a week ago by taking 1/8 of a tablet at regular intervals throughout the day. Low and slow. I moved up to 1/4 tablet by the end of the week (throughout day) along with 1/4 tablet Jarrow 1000 mcg methyl b12 (this addition seemed to lessen the hyperactivity a bit, but I'm still battling insomnia).
What next? Once I get my sleep under control, should I add small amounts of methyl folate throughout the day? Or B-complex? TMG? Does olive leaf extract contribute to methylation in any way? It has helped my overall well being so much....I have to wonder.

caledonia

1/8 of 3000mcg is not low and slow to me. I started with 4mcg and worked up to 40mcg over a year's time. That's low and slow.

OLE looks like a broad spectrum anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, etc. so it sounds like it's helping keep those problems at bay.

Assuming your two MTHFR mutations aren't the whole picture as to why you're not methylating properly - it takes a chronic stressor to cause a methylation block, so removing the chronic stressors (viruses, etc.) would also help alleviate a methylation block.

ps. several of your symptoms also sound like adrenal fatigue. I've found methylation + adrenal supplementation to be a good combo.

taniaaust1

Seeing you have carb intollerance .. have you had a 2 hr glucose tollerance test with insulin? (carbs cause bodies insulin to go up and can cause hyperinsulinemia in some.. and that can present with a huge range of symptoms and really knock your health about...
another cause of carb issues could be candida.. Olive leaf extract can help candida along with killing off bacteria and viruses).

I see an allergist who says he's fixed quite a few CFS people, which were actually just due to having hyperinsulinemia

No, I haven't had the 2 hr. test with insulin, just a regular overnight fasting blood sugar test. I've suggested a more extensive test to quite a few of the doctors I've tried , and even though they know I have a family history of diabetes, they didn't think I needed it. Thank you for such specific advice. I'll try again.

Hi Caledonia,
I have tried an adrenal supplement (I dont' remember what was in it) in the past, but that was before I addressed the viral issues. I really didn't see any improvement. My mother had a lot of improvement with adrenal glandulars (bovine), but when I suggested this to my alternative physician ,he wasn't knowledgeable in this area, and didn't know how to monitor. I didn't want to try it on my own. I do agree that I have adrenal issues. I ran a million miles an hour for too many years, then I got hit with years of stress. Crash. I also know that the genetic issues are strong. Five brothers and sister and my parents deal with methylation issues.