• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Strain Counterstrain Therapy

RestingInHim

Realist
has anyone heard of the specialized physical therapy, strain counterstrain? my internist referred me to a p.t. who specializes in this type of therapy. i had my first treatment 2 days ago. it was gentle, relaxing, and effective. i left with less pain than i've had in at least 3 years. the relief is continuing. i'll be going for three treatments next week. the therapist believes i will be pain free by the end of next week.

i tend to be a skeptic, but since my trusted physician referred me, i am trusting this will be helpful. this type of treatment was developed by Jones Institute in Carlsbad, California. it is scientifically based. here is a link to further information: http://www.jiscs.com/PDFs/CH13SCS.pdf

my health insurance pays 100% for 60 physical therapy treatments per year, after a $30 co-pay...so it's not a lot of out-of-pocket. i will let you all know how it goes after next week. in the meantime, i would like to know if others know of or have any experience with this therapy.

Strain/Counterstrain

Hi

I was first diagnosed with myofascial syndrome following 3 horrible car accidents in <2 years. During that 2 year time frame I was being treated with trigger point injections and prolotherapy. When I seemed to only get worse I was diagnosed with Fibro and began yet another round of PT. I was fortunate to get a very talented therapist who practiced strain/counterstrain. Seems like you are just hardly being touched and yet it is very effective. I remember sometimes my neck would fully turn until my cheek was resting on the table even though normally I couldn't move my neck more than an inch or two. And a few times I got an emotional release and tears just poured out of me although I did not feel like I was crying. It was a very healing experience and my therapist was a life saver. I have been through quite a few rounds of PT and generally do not find it very helpful but strain/counterstrain was the exception. After a just a couple of years with a Fibro diagnosis exhaustion and confusion became my primary symptoms and I began to see a CFS doc. Hope it helps you as much as it helped me.

srmny

RestingInHim

Realist
Strain/counterstrain

Thank you, Susan!! Very encouraging!

Have you checked the Jones Intitute website to find a therapist in ur area? I have to drive a little over an hour for mine...but well worth it! And a friend graciously arranged a room for me to stay mon thru fri so I can get 3 tratments in one week! I'll pray something works out for you!

RestingInHim

Realist
Strain Counterstrain P.T.

last time i posted on this subject, i did so under "alternative treatments", but i realized it is better under "pain management".

i have received 4 strain counterstrain treatments now and i have less pain than i have had in years! the goal of this treatment is elimination of pain and is not intended to be an on-going necessity. in fact, my p.t. said if it is not working after a few treatments, then it's not going to work. he anticipates only 2 to 4 more treatments for me.

he also plans to follow the strain counterstrain treatments with conditioning training, i.e. yoga and other types of stretching exercises, which i can then continue on my own.

the following website gives the scientific explanation of this type of therapy:
http://www.jiscs.com/PDFs/CH13SCS.pdf

the website also lists certified therapists by location:
http://www.jonesinstitute.com/

i tend to be a skeptic and do not try every treatment suggested, but since my internist, whom i trust, referred me, i decided to drive the 1 1/2 hours to the only person in my area who does this. i am very glad i did!

my insurance is covering these treatments, after a per visit co-pay.

i'm praying those of you who are in constant pain will explore strain counterstrain therapy and will be able to find a therapist who is schooled in it near you. if you do...please post how it goes.

Resting....

meandthecat

Hi realist
Thanks for the post on counterstrain; it reminded me of the unwinding technique used in craniosacral therapy, something I have used alot.

meandthecat

endorphins?

I only experience moderate pain and aching now but it is pretty constant. I work as a gardener so the physical stuff is a challenge but usually when I get into the swing of it my sensation of pain recedes and I don't notice it till I stop! Then depending upon how much I have done I hurt.

I have read that endorphins are released during activity and it so it feels like maybe the pain is down to low levels of endorphin which may also be linked to low vasopressin levels. HPA axis dysfunction.

When I get a cranial session and go deep; deeply relaxed for 40 mins. I don't feel any pain till I get off the couch then sometimes it is excruciating to stand with shooting pains in my ankles and wrists. This wears off over 5 or 10 mins and then thats it and I feel better over the next few days.

I may feel stiff in the morning but not like that so I wonder why and suspect that it is to do with those endorphin levels but I had also read that deep relaxation raises those levels.

anyone got ideas on this?