The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Stopping supplements before a methylation test?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by PeterPositive, Mar 10, 2015.

1. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

Hello,
    last year around this time I did the ELN (European Labs for Nutrients) methylation panel. In order to prepare for it I stopped all supplements 5 days before drawing the blood, as recommended.

The test came back with the usual pattern found in Rich VanK studies... low GSH, low SAM, high SAH, bad SAM/SAH ratio. In other words methylation is working poorly.

Now I am about to do it again, but I wonder if it makes any sense to stop the supplements again. If I do, chances are I will not get a clear picture of what the current therapy is doing.

Given that most water-soluble vitamins get out of the system pretty quickly I am assuming that continuing the supplementation is the best way to see how much it is helping.

Am I wrong? Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    LivingwithFibro likes this.
  2. adreno

adreno PR activist

I agree with you.

PeterPositive likes this.
  3. Sherpa

Sherpa Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie

USA
    I think your idea is good.

I have heard an expert recommend "before and after" testing for Nutraeval / OAT type tests. Taking one test off all supplements, then taking another on your usual methylation supplements to assess the effectiveness and see if anything is still missing.

PeterPositive likes this.
  4. LivingwithFibro

LivingwithFibro Lily

I wonder what the science is behind stopping all supplements before testing...!

5. xrunner

xrunner Senior Member

Surrey
    I'd follow the lab recommendations.
    If they suggest to halt five days before there must be a valid reason for that. Personally, also considering the costs of the test, I wouldn't want to do anything that may even remotely affect the results...
    If you've been on a methylation protocol for a year, a stop of five days won't change the overall picture, it isn't material, enough to reverse all the cellular improvements that should have occurred over a year.
    Best wishes.

See more popular forum discussions.