• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stopped taking abx after about 21 days

antares4141

First took them 500mg cephalexin 4 times a day and my stomach seemed like it shut down and I got sick. Stopped taking them for maybe 3 days than picked them back up at 500mg 3 times a day. Finished the ten day coarse than started taking amoxicillain for about 10 or 15 days. Had one small break in their also cause I ran out at one point. When I started back up on the cephalexin (after getting sick) I noticed a marked drop in my symptoms. Even after I went on the amoxicillan I was doing much better than normal. Less brain burn, fatigue, more capacity with problem solving. Than the symptoms all started coming back maybe even a little worse than normal. So that's when I decided to quit the abx. Going from memory maybe 5 days or so now. Slowly started feeling better again. Worked all day today doing light tasks which is good for me. For contrast a crappy day I can't do anything but sit in front of computer or watch tv. And I can have those for months at a time. Good days are maybe once or twice a months and if I take too much advantage of them I end up crashing. post exertional malaise. One time I had that so bad I couldn't get up out of bed without feeling so week and dizy I had to lay back down. Took a day in bed and probably a week of reduced activity to recoop. So this is pretty big improvement. Dramatic improvement in activity with no post exertional malaise. Hope I continue to do well but not counting on it. Seems whenever I fnd something that seems to help the effect wears off but I still have to do the thing just to maintain.

Martial

Be careful with suddenly stopping antibiotics, if you use them for prolonged periods you need to make sure its done correctly. If not there is a high risk of causing drug resistant bacteria to build up.

antares4141

Be careful with suddenly stopping antibiotics, if you use them for prolonged periods you need to make sure its done correctly. If not there is a high risk of causing drug resistant bacteria to build up.
First time I've used them in over 20 years. Why I was hesitant to quit early. Cause I don't plan on taking anymore unless it's for some type of diagnosable infection. Hopefully I didn't create a drug resistant strain anymore than anyone else who had an abscessed tooth. Which is how I got started in the first place I just took them a little longer to see how it would affect my cfs symptoms. And was impressed with what I found out. Taking a lot of probiotics now. It would be nice to be able to do a course of abx and than do fecal transplant immediately afterwards to try to give the desirable species an upper hand. Be nice if somebody could get funding from somewhere and try doing a study on that.

antares4141

I must be getting alzheimer's! Just a couple of months ago my gastroenterologist prescribed a ten day course of some type of antibiotic that somehow just targeted the digestive tract. Started with an x. While they didn't seem to cause any negative reactivity they didn't help either. Not with loose stools not with cfs symptoms. The amoxicilin and cephalexin on the other hand did seem to have some very positive results. In addition to the above mentioned symptoms that improved the fybro like soft spots in my upper spine seem to not be as bad. Used to be so bad I if I laid on my back (especially in a recliner) or on a bed with a lot of pillows so I could read, too long, it would get so bad it would turn into intense chest pain. Like if I was having a heart attack or something. Still have all the symptoms just not nearly as bad. I keep on expecting them to come back in force, hope they don't. Still doing a lot of chores I simply couldn't do a month ago. Hope it last's!

Other than that though no antibiotics in 20 years.

Last edited: