Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Stop ignoring misconduct : Efforts to reduce irreproducibility in research must also tackle...

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Kyla, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    http://www.nature.com/news/stop-ignoring-misconduct-1.20498

excerpt:

alkt, JaimeS, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I would argue reproducing research does not fully deal with faulty research practices as commonly understood. The two are not synonymous. Its about bias. Bias can be intrinsic to study design, or involve issues with instrumentation, or human action, or a great many things. Bias may also not be perceptible, and what seems like good research practices may be intrinsically biased but this might not be obvious to start with.

Science needs better methodology, for sure, especially in disciplines like psychiatry where the difficulty of the subject matter has led to a permissive attitude towards methodology.

This is a deep complex subject, and it involves evidence based medicine and its failures, failures in medical education and culture, the bureaucratization of medicine, pharma doing research on their own products, acceptance of unscientific practices in medicine because of medical culture, and so on. Bias is always possible, systems need to be in place to minimize bias from all causes, not just the easy targets.

alkt, JaimeS, Hutan and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.