Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Stool Analysis - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Journeyman, Feb 5, 2018.

1. jason30

jason30 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Ah I have missed it, thanks.

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior Member

Yeh thats what I did last time though I'm not sure whether it made it before the weekend...

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior Member

This looks great Jason, however on clicking the 'order test' it seems to have a tick marked against diagnostic solutions where other options are listed like Red Labs and Great Plains. So it looks to me like this is simply a UK company doing referrals for what is effectively the Diagnostic Solutions test. Anyone else confirm?

It is good to see some research into UK options....

Regards

Journeyman

jason30 likes this.
  4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior Member

I took a more thorough look at their site as it looked more like a pipe dream the last time it was mentioned in this forum. It looks on the face of it, to be a great value option for ppl like us living in Australia and it seems they will provide a report with dietary advice... though I suspect this will be extremely simple.
    @alicec have you made any enquiries with Microba as to how extensive their analytes are so we can have some idea of how it compares to uBiome's entirely comprehensive Explorer Plus?
    Don't you have concerns about paying $335 to a company which hasn't even got its lab established and could be a fly by night affair for all we know?? (How reliable are they or is it just some start up)
    Admittedly their lab forecast to be established at the PA hospital does bode well... but its not yet established as far as their website indicates. (Have you received anything from them or found information about them from other sources that give you confidence in their offering?)

Regards
    Journeyman

5. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    I would think if the sample was too old, they would have asked for another one.

6. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    It is just as comprehensive if not more so. They are using complete metagenomic sequencing, uBiome is using a combination of metagenomic and targeted sequencing. Read this as meaning they have introduced some clever shortcuts in the full genomic sequencing process. Without knowing the details of the uBiome patented techniques it is not possible at this stage to know what if any difference this will make, but suffice it to say that the Microba test is a straight out metagenomic sequencing test.

It did take them quite some time to get established but they seem to be up and running now - taking orders and sending out kits in June.

Why do you say "fly by night"? Are we talking about the same company?

The founders are two UQ Professors (director and deputy director of the Australian Centre for Ecogenomics at UQ) and the director is Prof Ian Frazer, the inventor of the HPV vaccine and Director of the Translational Research Institute at UQ.

Nothing fly by night about any of them. I don't know what your problem is.

7. vaer

vaer

correct, they are simply a distrubitor/intermediary for our region for some of the actual labs located overseas.
    Some others that come to mind in the UK are Regenerus and Biolab. It is best to ask the actual lab if they have a local distrubtor in your country otherwise do it directly with the lab itself.

Most of the times the results are only sent to a practioner/can only be ordered by a practioner. if you have problem ordering yourself i know of a clincian who has accounts with many labs - both local and international

8. jason30

jason30 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    hmmm good catch!
    I have decided to go for the Explorer Plus. I can't wait till it's available!

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior Member

Hi All,

Here we are almost 3 months since my original post and at an important point where the Explorer Plus kits promised as 'shipping in spring of 2018) should be underway. I'd be interested to hear of anyones experiences re: the Explorer Plus kit ordering. Have they started shipping yet as they indicated they would? If not have they given you any idea as to how long it might take to ship?

I took a look at Viome (thanks
    @vaer but unfortunately its not an option unless you're in the UK or USA.

I also got some useful replies from Dr Meirleir but their kit is if anything more expensive than uBiome. Mind you the fact I got a reply is a better sign for customer service compared to my experience with uBiome who still havent responded since my e-mail follow up as long ago as early February.

Regards

Journeyman

See more popular forum discussions.