Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Stonebird: One man's experience of an UK CFS Clinic

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Countrygirl, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    http://carersfight.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/dont-criticize-what-you-dont-understand.html

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Sigh. I am not sure this is limited to the UK, I think its everywhere, but the UK is the most obvious and the most egregious considering the dedicated clinics.

3. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    I see not much has changed in ten years. To anyone who's thinking of going down this route, it's horribly dispiriting to know that they don't have your back, but there it is. You have been warned.
    Now, that's my kind of language! I think we are "ready to heal"!

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Posted this reply to a comment on the blog:

Alex Young aka alex3619February 6, 2015 at 10:18 AM
    Thank you for this blog. Its frustrating to realize this kind of ineptitude has been going on for decades. I have taken to using ineptitude rather than stupidity or other descriptions as I think its the most defensible label.

Its not the case we have diagnostic tests of ME, nor tests that can confirm ME. We do have tests that can demonstrate very clear and very disabling pathophysiology. Its not quite the same thing.

Let me write some dates for when these tests were first discussed in the medical literature:

1940 Tilt table test.
    1946 Quantitative EEG
    1949 Cardiopulmonary exercise testing.

Three of the most important tests for establishing disabling pathophysiology date to the 1940s. Its clearly ineptitude if doctors are either unaware of the tests or are denying they are useful, given the published scientific data. We fall into a trap if we claim these are diagnostic, as we give them grounds for refuting our claim.

zzz, taniaaust1, Valentijn and 5 others like this.
  5. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    That's the most shocking things is these tests we should be all having have been around for so long and they still arent essential to get tests for ME/CFS people. I know the first two of these are abormal for me (Ive never had repeat exercise testing done).

Why over 60 years later, we are possibly more backwards with all this?

CantThink and Wildcat like this.
  6. themjay

themjay

Believe me this is the heavily abridged version and my second visit to a secure psychiatric unit for “diagnosis”. I have a meeting with my GP on Tuesday with my power of attorney and carer where she will have to explain the denial of care that I am experiencing. So far we have only heard that she did not want to tell me to prevent “hurting my feelings”. Fear not I have all the CBT techniques to cope !!!

Will report back.

Snow Leopard, Valentijn and zzz like this.
  7. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Good - their bullshit is impeding your ability to get any medical care, and that should be a very solid foundation for legal action if they don't remedy the situation.

8. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    I've been to this place

See more popular forum discussions.