Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Stomach causes skipped beats!!

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by Prefect, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Prefect

Prefect Senior Member

Canada
    Does anyone else here have skipped heart beats whenever they have an esophagus (or stomach?) spasm?

I thought I was imagining it, but I've been paying attention and it actually does happen, it's so bizarre! :eek:

It's been happening so much it doesn't even scare me anymore.

My body is a perfect biological sample that could be used to once and for all debunk intelligent design.

I think upper chest breathing from anxiety and POTS has moved everything up (diaphragm, intestines, etc) and irritating my vagus nerve. Or could it be a vicious cycle where such mechanism actually causes one to lose autonomic homeostasis and develop POTS? I'm convinced I hyperventilate even during sleep (especially REM, during which I sweat a lot.)

Don't quite know what to do to break the cycle. I've been using my belly muscles to drive everything downward so much past few days I think I'm going to get a hernia.

Hugo likes this.
  2. boolybooly

boolybooly

UK
    I find heart arrhythmia responds well to magnesium and if that doesnt help then potassium supplements as well.

But its not wise to supplement Mg too much without the correct balancing proportion of calcium in a ratio 1:2 Mg:Ca, so twice as much Ca as Mg.

A one off Mg dose is sometimes necessary but best to regularly take both Ca & Mg.

So I take a potassium gluconate scoop and 2x osteocare tabs with one Kirkman buffered magnesium bisglycinate capsule daily and that seems to be good. I also use Lo Salt in cooking which has potassium in it in the correct proportion with sodium which is also a 2:1 ratio for potassium:sodium.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  3. Evet

Evet

Hubby has had what you describe, OP. For years he thought it was a heart problem. Turned out eventually to be made worse by anxiety, and that he has a hiatus hernia, and that affects the vagus nerve.
    In addition to what Boolybooly suggested, keep an eye on your salt intake - it should not be too LOW.

kisekishiawase likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.