1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Stock cubes and instant gravy - no hydrolised stuff

Discussion in 'Addressing Biotoxin, Chemical & Food Sensitivities' started by maryb, Nov 23, 2013.

1. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Just found stock cubes and instant gravy by googling Anthony Worrall Thomson.
    I have major food intolerances so no yeast or hydrolised stuff (MSG) and ingredients look okay - obviously I won't know until I try them but have
    been looking for ages for some decent stock. I will find the link if anyone wants it and can't find it.

roxie60 likes this.
  2. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
  3. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    I am definitely interested. I seem to make chicken vegetable soup a lot. Need a way to add flavor when chicken gets too expensive.

4. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    allyb likes this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member

I have been using Celifibr cubes for years. They are gluten free and have a wonderful flavour.

roxie60 likes this.
  6. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    Has anyone tried this brand of stock? (from the amazon link). Going to have to see if US Amazon carries this brand, probably not.

7. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    I can't find out what IS in them. Just what isn't.

8. SickOfSickness

US
    Antony Worrall Thompson’s - Yeast Free Organic Stock Cubes - Free Range Chicken 66g

INGREDIENTS: Salt, Black Pepper, Corn Starch*, Non-Hydrogenated Palm Fat*, Chicken Fat* 7%, Onions*, Sugar*, Celery*, Chicken Meat Powder* 2%, Spices*, Natural Flavouring. *Organically grown

Antony Worrall Thompson’s - Yeast Free Organic Stock Cubes - Vegetable 66g

INGREDIENTS: Rock Salt, Starch* (Potato* and Corn*), Non-Hydrogenated Palm Fat*, Mixed Vegetables* 11% (Onions*, Celery*, Leeks*, Carrots*) Sugar*, Lovage*, Parsley*, Nutmeg*, Turmeric*, Garlic*, Pepper*. *Organically grown

peggy-sue likes this.
  9. SickOfSickness

US
  10. Mij

Mij Senior Member

I'm a pretty picky eater and I got my whole family on the Celifibr cubes and they are a hit. I have to say that the negative review does not reflect my experience, they are very easy to break apart and for my own personal taste not too salty either.

peggy-sue, maryb and SickOfSickness like this.
  11. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I didn't want any yeast....but other than that they look good. I agree the bad review was about ease of use - and the majority of people love MSG - they call it flavour!!!!!!

Mij likes this.
  12. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    Herb-Ox is a US brand that is MSG free, I think.

13. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    I have found it easy enough to get a good gravy with chopped onions sauteed in butter with a spoonful of flour (gluten free) than flavoured with tamari soy sauce and meat juices if available. Fresh vegetable or meat stock can be frozen in ice cube trays if needed.

14. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @brenda
    thanks for the tip - for me I don't do soy or any sauce really, there's always something in it I don't want. There is sugar in the AWT one but its wayyyy down on the list so going to try them.

15. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    Mary

Tamari is gluten free and has nothing in but fermented soya beans and you only use a drop for flavour but if you have meatjuices you don't need it. It is a life saver for me.

16. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    Thanks for the research, SickOfSickness!
    I think I'll give them a miss - the main ingredient is salt, then only 7% chicken fat and 2% meat product.:rolleyes:

The celifibr stuff looks vastly superior as far as the ingredients go.

17. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    "natural flavoring" is a warning sign. It can include natural sources of free glutamate acid.

Asklipia, maryb and SickOfSickness like this.
  18. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK

I agree but I'm staying off yeast - someone asked what the natural flavouring was in the AWT ones and there was nothing nasty....or so the reply stated... we'll see.

19. Unim

Unim

I ordered some of the AWT instant beef gravy. However I just noticed on the jar it has yeast extract in the ingredients...

I have found a website that sells pouches of ready-made gravy that might be an alternative. The ingredients look fairly inoffensive: http://www.ilumiworld.com/products/view/beef_gravy

20. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I've done pretty good using water + a bunch of spices instead of stock for something that is very slow cooking. Basically milder herbal/veggie ones, like celery leaf, basil, marjoram, etc. Works quite well.

See more popular forum discussions.