• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

steroid eye drops-flurometholone adverse reaction question

xrayspex

Hey I was suffering from frequent headache/migraine full body pain attacks increasingly the last year and finally patiently tried gabapentin over the last few months in verying small doses and was getting relief 98% of time from fullblown pain attacks--even tho I dont like some of side effects of gabapentin it was a work in progress

Last week eye doc prescribed fluorometholone eye drops for my dry eye/corneal abrasions (sjogrens) to take for 6 wks in decreasing amounts and initially for first few days I felt better, it was subtle, not like awful prednisone I tried once last year, and from like sun to wed I felt slightly better energy wise but then it suddenly seemed to block the gabapentin and this weekend I got headache/pain attacks--stopped the eyedrops friday. i was taking them 3x day, took it like once on fri cus not sure if can cold turkey but I dont want to take drops anymore even if cold turkey, because i cant afford a flare up right now. I bookd a trip next wkend for aweek because I was confident from gabapentin knocking back headaches but now I dont know how much I have been set back by the steroid eye drops if will be ok by next weekend.

I dont think most docs would suspect these drops of being high risk for systemic effect but I have incredible MCS. at first i was thinking they might be a good form of steroid for me to use occasionally to help autoimmune aspect; maybe if i hadnt taken them 3x day but started out cautiously something could have been worked out. But I couldnt tolerate like 3 days of flonase when tried it in past, it was like meth or something to me (not that I ever tried that) felt manic and agitated on it after couple days of feeling much better.

does anyone have any experience with steroid eye drops and MCS and any antidotes? I am hoping the gabapentin starts working like it was soon.