• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sterling Hill Consult

Has anyone had any experience with Sterling Hill directly? I know most of us use her resources to understand our SNP's but can't find anyone with personal experience having used her.

I live in KS and can't find anyone that understands methylation or CFS/POTS very well. My symptoms are worsening to where I'm so lightheaded and feel "drunk" and out of it to the point where I'm dangerous to drive and work at times (I work in a hospital). I know I desperately need choline but every time I take even tiny amounts (no matter what type) I feel like my brain is tingling hard on one side and it scares me too much to continue.

I am so sick and tired of spending every free minute I have aside from work and my kids researching what to do next with nothing working. I'm trying to find someone that I don't have to travel to and won't order a thousand tests or cost an arm and a leg. Does anyone have any recommendations? I called and talked to Sterling Hill's assistant but he says she is booked until mid March. :( I would like to find someone to see sooner than that but if she is my only option I will have to wait as I can only afford to see one person at this point.

Valentijn

I know I desperately need choline but every time I take even tiny amounts (no matter what type) I feel like my brain is tingling hard on one side and it scares me too much to continue.
How do you know that you need choline?

How do you know that you need choline?

My anxiety, nerve pain, fatigue, and drunk feelings significantly improve while on it. I've done it 4 different times and every time I feel much better and then the brain sensations start up and freak me out.

I came across this last night linking B12 deficiency with decreased acetyl cholinesterase (breaks down acetylcholine) in rats. I remember reading that many people with CFS have higher levels of choline so I wonder if this could be part of the issue. My B12 levels measured high but it looks like from what I've read here the wrong test was used to get an accurate picture.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18422

Last edited:
Have you been on her page or her FB group... lots of good info there, as well as her website (MTHFRSupport). I follow some more advanced chronic illness communities whom have referenced her and she comes up in a variety of other groups I've followed over recent years. I do find a lot of what she writes to resonate with some of my history of experience around certain topics and I continue to find value in her material.

You can find plenty in their forum here: https://mthfrsupport.com/forums/forum/mthfr-support-forum/

Last edited:
This is not about Sterling Hill, but about choline. I had great improvements in digestion with a little bit of phosphatidyl choline. I only needed about 1/3 of a 400mg gel cap, or else I'd get active dreams and insomnia.

Some months later, I found reason to believe I might be low in manganese (from HTMA test results, plus cipro toxicity history which can deplete it, and really weak digestion). I gave it a try, and lo and behold, I started getting symptoms of high choline again. I also found that my need for stomach acid supplements also all but disappeared! So I'm off both stomach acid and choline, woo hoo! :)

I don't need much manganese - just 1 or 2mg a few times a week. More than that and I get liver pain. But I'm also super sensitive to everything. Just sharing for whatever it's worth. I can imagine other reasons choline could be low, so this might not at all be the case for you. But I know we're all looking to feel better best we can.