The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Stem cells in dysautonomia pipeline....

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by sillysocks84, Jun 23, 2015.

1. sillysocks84

sillysocks84 Senior Member

2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Given the difficulties accessing stem cells, you might consider 3-day water fast. I found a significant reduction in my need for supplements after my first fast a few weeks ago.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140605141507.htm
    Fasting triggers stem cell regeneration of damaged, old immune system

3. sillysocks84

That is amazing. But what do you mean by water fasting? Is that what they are saying in the article? I definitely can't quit water for prolonged periods because I have symptoms of pots.

4. sillysocks84

I went back and read it, and I gather it is fasting from food. Also emphasizing a ketogenic diet. I will definitely try this.

5. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Yes, water only 3 days. They suggest, in the context of cancer chemotherapy, repeating it at intervals. I felt pretty awful, really like a limp dishrag. Even, at the point of eating, worried that I could have pushed myself into some sort of crisis. (a little late to consider this!). But in fact, I recovered my energy immediately, and found I no longer needed any of my antihistamine and antioxidant supps. Critterina found good results with histamines (thread Critterinas's histamine journal). Ive been able to add back small amounts of fermented foods, impossible for the last 3 years.

sillysocks84 likes this.
  6. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Water fasting is taking water only (I assume); it's not quitting water. Don't stop drinking! It causes a quick death!

7. sillysocks84

@Bob lol that's what I thought but it sounded to me like fasting from water hehe.

Valentijn and Bob like this.
  8. sillysocks84

I'm trying this soon! I can't wait. Thanks for sharing.

9. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    They advertise a lot on Facebook. I am not impressed. You can read back a few years here and find patients experiences with stem cells.

sillysocks84 likes this.
  10. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Yeah, what they are describing is actually just "fasting", and "water fasting" would suggest that it's something different than normal fasting. Maybe some people prefer to say "water fasting" because it sounds more impressive? :confused:

sillysocks84 likes this.
  11. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Here says you can imitate the body fasting by just eating brown rice. I can't eat rice, but Fasting does help me w pain a lot when I cannot stand the pain I do short fasts (skips 2 meals or so).

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/IBD/

sillysocks84 likes this.
  12. sillysocks84

Were you on antihistamines because of mast cell issues? Do you think fasting can help with that then as well? Or do you attribute your pots/dysautonomia to mcad? I'm sorry, but I'm fairly new to this still.

13. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

I had both histamine issues and mast cell issues, overlapping, but also distinct. My mast cell issues are relatively benign. But once I understood the underlying phenomenon, I could track these symptoms to mast cell activation. FMN reduced my need for antihistamines, mast cell stabilizers, and the fast extinguished the need. I haven't taken any of these in the weeks since. My POTS resolved once I was on theraputic doses of MB12.

14. sillysocks84

Very encouraging, but what is FMN? Sorry I tried googling but couldn't find anything.

15. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

FMN coenzymated, sublingual form of B2/r5p. I wrote about my experiences here.

16. sillysocks84

Thank you @ahmo I read your blog entry too. I was thinking of posting something on mast cells as a new entry, I wanted to see if you'd also heard of this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21713652

It's about soce inhibitors for mcad. I never heard anything about this. I wondered if you had any thoughts on this.

17. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Hi @sillysocks84 no, I don't know anything about it. My mast cell symptoms are relatively benign, something for me to watch and be aware of for possible future aggravation, worsening. You might find more info on these inhibitors from Dr. Theoharides, on his site mastcellmaster.com. Many publications from him and his team there, as well as his vids.

sillysocks84 likes this.
  18. sillysocks84

Well, since you are on the right track so far hopefully you won't have anything to worry about with mast cells.

I looked at that website and it's nice they're taking such interest in mast cells. I think mine may play a part in my symptoms. But really wgen it comes down to it I'm still confused.

19. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

20. Groggy Doggy

Groggy Doggy Senior Member

--
    I had one adipose stem cell treatment, for about $6k, in May. My own fat was harvested, placed in a machine to filter out the stem cells, which amounted to just one injection. I did initially feel some slight improvements with sleep, pain, and flexibility I could see visible positive differences in my appearance ( I looked vibrant and healthy). I was told it could take up to one year, post injection, to derive the full benefit. I was ill for about 2 years before the stem cell treatment. Since I don't know what my health would be like today without having the procedure a few months ago, its hard to say if it was worth it. I felt the stem cell treatment was the lowest risk option, since I was injected with my own 'medicine'. I was concerned that, some of the drugs that people are taking to help with ME/CFS could potentially harm me in the long run. I've always been very sensitive to prescription drugs and typically suffer from their side effects I feel we just don't fully understand the risk vs benefit of the trial drugs without more research. I opted to start with one stem cell treatment, wait one year, and then decide what the next course of action is. I hope I didn't offend anyone in my posting.

Pyr2, sillysocks84 and voner like this.

See more popular forum discussions.