1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

stem cell treatment in MS

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by heapsreal, Mar 9, 2014.

1. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

@maryb,

Maybe you can give us a better idea of what that treatment involved. I had heard that the reason for going out of the country was the cost of a long hospitalization, not regulatory issues. I know the treatment which does involve chemo to destroy the damaged immune system requires such hospitalization, so I assumed something similar was going on in these cases.

Unfortunately, as I recall, Cheney concluded it was not as effective as hoped, particularly for the patients who had been sick longest. If infected immune cells were not being destroyed this would lead to whatever new cells were introduced being infected after treatment. We don't know there were infected cells, but this hypothesis would explain the results.

2. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @anciendaze
    no sorry I don't know much more - I remember we had a couple of people on here who were going to a latin American country (not sure which one ) for the stem cell treatment - they reported back they were no better and then they seem to have disappeared off the forum so who knows????

3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    They had a very different procedure--their own stem cells were not used and the stem cells were injected into a vein (I believe), withhout trying to destroy "suspect" parts of the immune system.

As I remember from a friend who had this procedure several times, there was an initial good response but it didn't last.

Sushi

4. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

Would love to catch up with one of them!

See more popular forum discussions.