• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

stem cell treatment in MS

anciendaze

@maryb,

Maybe you can give us a better idea of what that treatment involved. I had heard that the reason for going out of the country was the cost of a long hospitalization, not regulatory issues. I know the treatment which does involve chemo to destroy the damaged immune system requires such hospitalization, so I assumed something similar was going on in these cases.

Unfortunately, as I recall, Cheney concluded it was not as effective as hoped, particularly for the patients who had been sick longest. If infected immune cells were not being destroyed this would lead to whatever new cells were introduced being infected after treatment. We don't know there were infected cells, but this hypothesis would explain the results.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@anciendaze
no sorry I don't know much more - I remember we had a couple of people on here who were going to a latin American country (not sure which one ) for the stem cell treatment - they reported back they were no better and then they seem to have disappeared off the forum so who knows????

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
The Cheyney patients who went for stem cell treatment didn't receive chemo.......

They had a very different procedure--their own stem cells were not used and the stem cells were injected into a vein (I believe), withhout trying to destroy "suspect" parts of the immune system.

As I remember from a friend who had this procedure several times, there was an initial good response but it didn't last.

Sushi

Aerose91

@anciendaze
no sorry I don't know much more - I remember we had a couple of people on here who were going to a latin American country (not sure which one ) for the stem cell treatment - they reported back they were no better and then they seem to have disappeared off the forum so who knows????

Would love to catch up with one of them!