• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stem Cell Therapy

Hip

Hard to say if it would help in ME/CFS, but since this therapy first requires your immune system to be destroyed before it is rebuilt using stem cells, it's a bit of a hairy procedure. Jonathan Edwards describes the risks involved in this post.

neweimear

Hard to say if it would help in ME/CFS, but since this therapy first requires your immune system to be destroyed before it is rebuilt using stem cells, it's a bit of a hairy procedure. Jonathan Edwards describes the risks involved in this post.
I dont think it does. You get infusions of umbilical cord stem cells, the immune system is not destroyed beforehand, therefore there are no real risks apart from an empty pocket.

Hip

Maybe the study you are referring to is a different one to this recently published multiple sclerosis stem study, in which the immune system was destroyed beforehand.

Cheney took some ME/CFS patients to Panama for regular stem cell infusion; I don't think the results were very good.

neweimear

Maybe the study you are referring to is a different one to this recently published multiple sclerosis stem study, in which the immune system was destroyed beforehand.

Cheney took some ME/CFS patients to Panama for regular stem cell infusion; I don't think the results were very good.

Yes, it's a different study, link below. There is no mention of any immune wipeout, that is what stood out to me.

https://t.co/43DEEMyud3?amp=1

Cheney went a long time, this method maybe relatively new.

neweimear

Our family member tried these, and no result, just lots of sick feeling after. Lots of cash down the loo.
I'm so sorry to hear that Perrier, very disappointing. Thanks for posting. It's alot of money to lose. Hopefully, something will turn up that can help us in the not too distant future.

perrier

I'm so sorry to hear that Perrier, very disappointing. Thanks for posting. It's alot of money to lose. Hopefully, something will turn up that can help us in the not too distant future.
Yes, it's really a ton of money for us. I didn't know where else to turn. These were top quality stem cells, and I really hoped they might help even a little. Nada, as they say, nothing, just more sick feeling for three months after the treatment. I'm completely devastated, I don't know what to do anymore.

aquariusgirl

I heard that an indian doc who does embryonic stem cells says they won't work if you have a lot of infections...the infections kill them..

AlwaysTired

I had an autologous stem cell transplant a year ago, and I don't know that I can say it did anything. I mean, it's possible, but the doctor who did it said it would be 9 months before I began to see any improvement. 9 months is too long to definitively say anything for sure if you improve, cause it could be for other reasons or just spontaneous. I only did it because my dad had been on my case for months to try it, for some reason convinced it would cure me. I didn't have the same opinion (hence my resistance) but finally threw in the towel to shut him up and prove him wrong so he would trust that I knew what works. The one thing I did gain was travelling to Phoenix, because I suddenly felt much better here, which proved to be true when I moved here a few months later (I don't think it was just being in a warm dry climate either as I was living in Tucson for my first and worst year of this damn disease). That was worth the 7,000 I spent.

Anyhow, There seems to be disagreement about which kinds of stem cells work best, and where to derive them from. The place I went thinks mesenchymal are best and they take them from your upper gluteal area. It was the most painful thing I have ever endured.

I know people with Lyme and other conditions have more luck with it, but at this point no CFS/ME doctor considers it an effective treatment.

Of course you may be lucky and find you feel better in the place you travel to for treatment, but then you don't need to sign up for stem cell therapy to do that