• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Statins may cause multiple muscle problems

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Those drugs which are being pushed so hard for almost everyone to take are turning out to have more and more reasons - and potential reasons - to resist the pressure, and people with ME would appear to be prime examples according to this paper:

June 20, 2013

Statin Use Incurs Risk for Musculoskeletal Conditions

Thomas L. Schwenk, MD reviewing Mansi I et al. JAMA Intern Med 2013 Jun 3.

Muscle injuries as well as myalgia and weakness might be attributable to these drugs.

Statin use has been associated with excess risk for myalgia, muscle weakness, muscle cramps, and rhabdomyolysis. Many clinicians would say the more they ask statin users about muscle conditions, the more they uncover.

In a retrospective cohort study from the military healthcare system, investigators identified about 14,000 patients who used statins for at least 90 days and 37,000 nonusers. Statin users were significantly more likely to have a wide range of cardiac risk factors and diagnoses, as well as other chronic diseases, but the investigators were able to match about 7000 patients in each group for 42 baseline characteristics. During 4.5 years of observation, the likelihood of statin users (compared with nonusers) developing one or more of a large diagnostic cluster of musculoskeletal conditions was 19% higher; risk for acute musculoskeletal injuries such as strains and sprains was 13% higher, and musculoskeletal pain was 9% more common (all between-group differences were significant). The likelihood of having osteoarthritis and other arthropathies was 7% higher (P=0.07).

Comment

The excess risk for strains, sprains, and other injuries is biologically plausible, based on the known problems of muscle weakness, concerns about associated tendinopathies, and inhibition of coenzyme Q10 synthesis (which affects muscle metabolism). Muscle conditions are of sufficient importance and prevalence to constitute an essential factor in deciding whether statin use is appropriate for a given patient.

http://www.jwatch.org/na31388/2013/06/20/statin-use-incurs-risk-musculoskeletal-conditions

More on this:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/261444.php