Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Stat: Gaming the system, scientific ‘cartels’ band together to cite each others’ work

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by AndyPR, Jan 13, 2017.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

This seemed to me very reminiscent of how our old friends, the BPS crowd operate.
    https://www.statnews.com/2017/01/13/citation-cartels-science/

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    The solution is for universities to stop using silly metrics like total citation counts.

Solstice, Woolie, trishrhymes and 4 others like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I have been calling this a citation circle. I think there also exist review circles, where pals review each other's work for journals. I think this is particularly pernicious in some parts of psychiatry, but is in no way limited to psychiatry.

4. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

That's a cracker, @AndyPR! Only one of 490 references was not from the favoured journals!

Reckon its slightly different for the BPS crowd, though. More about selectively citing work to creates the impression of consensus, when really there's still quite s bit of debate. Similar, I guess, but more about ideology than in this example.

TiredSam likes this.
  5. CCC

CCC Senior Member

It happens all the time.

Back in my research days, there were three research groups that exclusively cited only work produced from within their own institution: one in Europe somewhere, one in the US, and then another one somewhere else I can't remember.

Australians are used to being not too influential, so we'd cite anyone until it came to one particular aspect, and then we all had to find a way of including reference to a certain scientist's landmark papers from the 1960s. (And this was in the 1980-90s - we were allowed to cite more recent work, but it was easier just to throw in the reference to the landmark paper.)

And the stakes in my field were not high on the global scale. Not biomedical, just career-path stuff.

Woolie and trishrhymes like this.

See more popular forum discussions.