• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Starving Prostate Cancer

Rosemary

http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_channelstory.cfm?storyid=24351

Starving Prostate Cancer

LAS VEGAS, Nev. (Ivanhoe Newswire) -- Doctors say it's a cancer men are more likely to die with not from. Although prostate cancer is the second most common type in men, it tends to be slow-growing. Most treatments zap, freeze or poison it. Now, there's a new treatment that kills prostate cancer by cutting off the tumors food supply.

George Patow's life revolves around two things. His dog alley and his doctor -- both keep him going

"I actually got her two weeks after I was told I have cancer. She takes care of me. I take care of her, Patow told Ivanhoe.

Patow was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer three years ago. Despite aggressive drugs and chemo, his cancer kept growing.

"I was running out of options, Patow explained.

"The vast majority of patients usually end up resistant to therapy," Oscar B. Goodman, Jr., M.D., Ph.D., with the Nevada Cancer Institute, told Ivanhoe.

Patow found oncologist Oscar Goodman Jr. And a new drug that starves cancer from the inside - out.

"This drug prevents hormonal pathways from being activated in cancer cells, Dr. Goodman said.

Prostate cancer feeds on the hormone testosterone. The drug being tested in a clinical trial, MDV 3100, interrupts this food supply -- literally starving the cancer to death. George takes 10 pills a day. His PSA dropped from 1400 to 377.

"It's brought me a lot of hope, Patow said.

Hope for the first time, in a long time.

Dr. Goodman says the latest studies predict the number of men fighting prostate cancer will double in the next 20 years. Dozens of hospitals and oncology clinics across the country are participating in the MDV-3100 clinical trial. Cancer patients whose tumors didn't respond to chemo may be eligible.