• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Starting out on Acyclovir

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
thank you @heapsreal how long have you been on avs ? do you remember how long after starting them you could tell they were working? sorry if this is too many questions. I am definitely a cfs person and have alot of viral symptoms. my immune systems does some strange things.

i have been taking acyclovair 800mg 2x a day..wondering if i should bump it up or just have it switched as i can't tell it is doing anything at this point.

thanks for taking the time

2009 i started famvir. Regular blood work and no ill effects from avs so far as liver and kidney function are fine. 6 months before i really noticed. I use to crash often as in every few weeks. Initially i noticed i stopped crashing and 6 months i felt better. I eventually did crash but found i recovered quicker from them and they werent as severe. Ive stopped avs a few times but not for any great lengths as i just crash badly.

If you search my posts ive written heaps of threads on famvir etc.

cb2

Thank you @heapsreal i will check out your threads. I noticed stanford uses a low dose of something like celebrex in conjunction with avs wondering if and what folks thoughts experience are on that?

Binkie4

I am in UK and began to take acyclovir ( 400mgx3 daily) in May recommended by Consultant so I am about 4 months in. Dose is lower than some people here take but seems to be in line with @heapsreal. I think Lerner recommended high doses.@ BadBadBear- the side effects were tough initially, see below, but manageable.

I haven't had any positive reaction yet but I think this is usual. I think it takes about 4-6 months for response to occur. There is another thread discussing this and if I find the link I will post it. Am really keeping my fingers crossed for a positive result as my crashes seem to be getting more frequent.

I did have a herx type response for 4-6 weeks near the beginning which I found very very difficult to tolerate. Felt very ill but kept going. I drank a lot of fluids and electrolytes

@cb2 - how long have you been taking avs?

cb2

HI @Binkie4 I started on avs in 2011 800mg 3x a day, as i recall i was able to do alot more then .. at some point i lowered them, on my own, thinking they didnt matter.. or maybe i stopped them all together (grew tired of taking things) so i am not the best example, or even a good example. so best i could say since my memory isnt clear, i have been off and on them since 2011. now i am committing to being ON them so i will stick to what was prescribed 800mg 3x a day of the acycolvair .. and i will follow up with stanford dr next month, we'll see what they say. maybe i will switch to a new one. I have to work on being patient, and that is hard when i have not felt well for 15+ years.
wishing you good success with your avs! if you dont mind @Binkie4 what was your herx response like? thanks

Binkie4

Hi @cb2
Thanks for your story.

My herx response was terrible. I thought I would need to stop but didn't. I did reduce the dose a little for 2 days which gave me slight relief but then back up. I only managed because I had someone to cook, bring me drinks etc. Glad I kept going.

I contacted my Consultant and he said to increase fluids and electrolytes which I did and I think that helped. Almost 4 months now, feel Okish ( just ME), but hoping for an improvement.

Good luck with your treatment.

cb2

@Binkie4 thank you for sharing your experience and passing along the electrolytes tip.
I am glad you had help during your herx response. I was asking because I am trying to see what folks herx look like so I can tell if I am having one, Although I know we are all different. I seem to just get more tired I don't know if that's here? That is why I was wondering what your experience was like. Was your herx
extreme fatigue and or did you have any other symptoms ? whatever the case I'm glad you're through it now. :)

Binkie4

@cb2

It was more than fatigue. A lot of nausea, weakness, had to lie flat in bed; it was a worsening of the ME symptoms. I think mine lasted longer than most, 4-6 weeks but it did eventually pass through.

I hope I see some improvement soon but I think it can take up to 6 months? Anyone?

Good luck cb2