• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Starting Methylation Protocol - any tips on my genetic genie results greatly appreciated

Hi all,

I recently got my 23 & me results back and am slowly picking my way though them - below are my +/- and +\+ from genetic genie. I have POTS pretty bad, very high histamine, IBS, hemiplegic migraines. I've used Yasko's interpreter which has said I am able to use both types of the activated B12 she recommends. So I tried some Hydroxocobalamin last week and had severe aching joints and agitation (that was before I read the latest recommends on here and have since ordered the methylcobalamin which I will start really slowly then add the methylfolate). Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this research you are amazing!

COMT V158M rs4680 AG +/-
COMT H62H rs4633 CT +/-
VDR Bsm rs1544410 CT +/-
VDR Taq rs731236 AG +/-
MAO A R297R rs6323 GT +/-
MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AG +/-
MTRR A66G rs1801394 GG +/+
BHMT-02 rs567754 TT +/+
BHMT-08 rs651852 TT +/+
CBS C699T rs234706 AG +/-

Emily

Last edited:
@est_sunshine - I had a 3 week hemiplegic migraine once (prior to ME/CFS) and the neurologist prescribed folate based on my elevated homocysteine. It went away about half an hour after taking a normal dose.

MTHFR C677T means that you produce methylfolate at 65% of the normal rate. MTRR A66G means that you recycle the B12 in MTR at about 30% of the normal rate.

Hence a normal dose of methylfolate could be helpful, and B12 as well. Different people respond differently to methylB12 versus hydroxoB12, so just do whichever one works for you.

Thanks Valentijn, I'm pretty sure methylfolate is going to help me a lot, I will try some this weekend. The migraine was kicked off by MSG I'm really keen to get my 23&me results for the genes that process glutamate' just need to find another interpreter website.

Thanks Valentijn, I'm pretty sure methylfolate is going to help me a lot, I will try some this weekend. The migraine was kicked off by MSG I'm really keen to get my 23&me results for the genes that process glutamate' just need to find another interpreter website.
Mine was triggered by MSG too. Plus more typical migraines prior to that. Usually I get about a 23 hour delay between getting MSG and the migraine onset.

At the time of my hemiplegic migraine, I'd identified the cause, and had cut MSG out of my diet and had done very well for a while. But I wasn't aware of yeast extract, etc, so was still getting that.

Now I always take some folate if I suspect MSG exposure, such as from eating at a restaurant. It seems to help quite a bit, though I can still get a little headachy and cranky.