• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Starting methylation: b12 sensitive (low potass?) and next steps

Hi there - I've been lurking on this forum for months and have pored through hours upon hours of posts. Many thanks to all who share their experiences and provide advice- I'm so grateful to have found PR!

I tested my SNPs and have begun methylation with some starts and stops for a few months (primarily addressing MTHFR A1298C and CBS C699T). I am having some really alarming symptoms in only taking methylb12 so far at a low dose, and would appreciate any advice on next steps.

My symptoms appear to be low potassium, but it's without any of the 'telltale' symptoms of muscle aches/spasms/twitches/cramps, so I am not sure. I have overall weakness/fatigue, shortness of breath, trouble taking deep breaths, heart palpitations (heart rate feels very weak), some brain fog/disassociation. Some days are worse than others and I have profound worsening of symptoms at certain times of the day, sometimes coming on quickly. I have honestly felt like I was having near-death experience; the feeling is somewhere in between hypoglycemia, a panic attack and simply passing out, but a distinct feeling on its own.
There seems to be some sort of connection to this with low blood sugar (happening between meals) and caffeine (a small cup of coffee seems to exacerbate it and encourage hypoglycemic reactions, though I've read coffee can deplete b12 and be good for K+??). It's also notably worsened during 'that time of the month.' Recent blood levels and vitals tested out 'normal'- my potassium serum is in range at 3.9 (and after I had drank a bunch of orange juice in a panic).

I am taking a low dose of methylcobalamin, 1/4 of a tablet of 1,000 mcg of Jarrow (~100-250mcg), so I am not sure why I am having such a strong reaction. Otherwise my daily protocol includes

- vit d3 (1,000 iu), fish oil, manganese (10mg)
- for B's, I am just doing half of NatureMade's B-Complex for now... vit c (150mg), thiamin (7.5mg), riboflavin (5mg), niacin (25mg), B6 (2.5mg, not sure if P5p form?), pantothenic (5mg)
PM
- magnesium citrate (400-500mg), probiotics, evening primrose oil (500mg)
- have been trying molybdenum after protein-heavy dinner (only about 50-75 mcg; moly seems to makes me feel weak and exhausted)

I'm anxious about continuing b12 at this rate, let alone introducing methylfolate and needing even more potassium. I have been eating more bananas, downing coconut water, and started potassium gluconate but am still having moderate symptoms. Freddd has discussed hypokalemia at length and the paradoxical folate deficiency in starting methylation but I am still not sure where I fall or what to do next. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
@goonie8473

I would be cautious with jumping to the conclusion you have low potassium.

For sure it can be a serious issue... especially with milligram doses of methylfolate on Freddd's protocol... or with heavy & sweaty exercise.. on on unusual diets... but many times it is something else.

I have read this form, heard everyone talking about low potassium, .. misinterpreted symptoms like muscle twitching as low potassium... taken too much supplemental potassium and gotten messed up!

Your symptoms *might* be from HIGH potassium downing coconut water and potassium gluconate when it is not warranted!

Check out these symptoms of hyperkalemia

Taking the potassium when I already had plenty of potassium gave me nasty hangovers and side effects of hyperkalemia.

Last edited: