• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Starting Fredd Protocol Questions.

Freddd

In July my serum potassium measured 3.7 (ref 3.5-5.2), and in August my urine potassium measured 65 (ref 22-82). I was not supplementing.

I am about to add the active B12s to my protocol. I have potassium on hand.

Is there a baseline amount of potassium I probably need even before adding the B12s?

Madie

Hi Madie,

As serum potassium is what we are measuring, and serum potassium can move up and down radically in a day or two, I would say that you might want to start on 600 a day (300mg twice a day) the day you start the active b12s so that at least your serum will be ok starting out. That may be nowhwere near enough on day 3 or 4 or later. The body is much slower to move up or down and takes quite a while. I get in trouble at 4.2. At 3.7 I would be having controllable spasms daily as I did for years, at 3.7 and the docs, not ONE, ever said a thing.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Just off topic but this is just one example of why we say 'rip off Britain'.
Cardy c-131 potassium meter

Buy in the USA - $239 = 151
Buy in the UK - 240 = $378

maddietod

Cardy c-131 potassium meter

Would this be of any use?

Has anyone used this (or any other potassium meter)? I'm wondering how long the sensor lasts (I notice you can buy replacement sensors).

Also, are readings expected to be higher/lower at certain times of day? Eg when you first wake up?

Wow, MadieTodd, your potassium was LOW (3.7). I thought it was considered a problem below 4.0. I would want it up to 4.0 before I started anything that might lower it because you are already so low I'd be miserable. I myself am not so high, but I am at 4.2 so I'm kindof ok if I watch it. You want it to be between 4.0 and 5.0 but actually the closer to 5.0 the better so long as it does not go over.

That's as far as I know...from reading Charles' Weber's book on potassium.
Rydra

Has anyone used this (or any other potassium meter)? I'm wondering how long the sensor lasts (I notice you can buy replacement sensors).

Also, are readings expected to be higher/lower at certain times of day? Eg when you first wake up?

I sent emial to Charles Weber who is a potassium expert - he might know. Stay tuned. There is also a club in Britain who take potassium supplements to treat arthritis - some Charles Cote group. They might know. I'll see if I can track them down as well.

Rydra

But it SAYS on the manufacturers site: *This product is not approved by Horiba for personal medical use

It is for soil science.

Oh, but at this site it says: The C-131 Cardy potassium ion meter is not currently approved for medical use by the FDA, nor is it sold as a medical device, but it is very sensitive measuring device which has given excellent results to the patients in our group who have used it.

http://hkpp.org/test-K-cardy-meter

It's pricey. But we really need something if we are going to try to help others with this protocol. Other people are stupid about their health and symptoms and especially if they are on pain-killers may not even notice key symptoms.

PLEASE NOTE - as with ALL measurement equipment, it can go out of calibration and MUST be periodically checked to ensure it is correctly calibrated. Here is a site selling solutions of known potassium concentration for calibrating the meter: http://www.agriculturesolutions.com/Potassium-Meters/View-all-products.html

Looks like people with periodic paralysis use it: http://www.periodicparalysisnetwork.com/toolssupplies.htm
They say: Test results are not accurate enough to be used for diagnostic purposes. They are intended to be used for monitoring purposes and to determine patterns of potassium levels/shifting as seen in conditions such as periodic paralysis. Used in conjunction with urine pH levels will give a broader picture of the potassium levels in conjunction with the acid/alkaline levels. This information might be helpful to diagnose conditions such as periodic paralysis when used in conjunction with other diagnostic tests and devices. Standardized laboratory tests should be conducted before making any diagnosis or before administering any medications or supplements to address the effects of hyperkalemia and hypokalemia or potassium shifting.
And how-to info here: http://hkpp.org/test-K-cardy-meter

maddietod

Thanks for all this information, Rydra. I ordered the potassium tester a few days ago........we'll see!

Madie