• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Started on acyclovir...feeling worse than before.

Zensational

I started taking Acyclovir 800mg a week ago and am feeling very symptomatic, almost like a healing crisis. I don't suppose that is what is happening but I feel even more tired and achey and the brain fog. :confused: I seem to have averted most of the nausea that many have experienced by dissolving the huge tablet under my tongue after a meal. I'm also taking Zantac twice a day while on the protocol.
I'm hoping this passes soon. There is only so much daytime TV I can tolerate. ;)

Xandoff

Michael
After 14 months on Valcyte concurrent with Famcyclovir (similar to Acyclovir) I improved but still watch day time TV> Damn. I now only take 500 mg of famcyclovir twice a day. It really helps with my brain function. !It also helps to keep my titers down on some of the chronic sub infections I have.
Good Luck Zensational

Hi Zensational,
I´m also taking acyclovir. i started just with 200mg a day, and increased every three weeks another 200mg. the day that I increased to 1000mg i started feeling very bad too. but it only lasted about three weeks. suddenly i woke up one day and was feeling pretty good. that good feeling didin´t last much :( i´m still taking acyclovir though, and just started with equilibrant. hope it starts working!
i think you should start feeling better in a few weeks. good luck!
andrea

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I just ordered some 800 mg Acyclovir. Should have it in a few weeks. Any thoughts on how to start? I was going to do 400 mgs/day in 2 doses for 2 weeks and then add 200 more etc, but maybe that is too fast? Any suggestions on how to take this?

Thanks

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
starting at a low dose and gradually increasing it is a good move, even 200mg twice a day to start with is cool, also not eveyone has die off type reactions, you might not have any negative reactions. It can take a few months to get the positive effects from antivirals, so hang in there .

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Thanks heapsreal. I'm pretty sensitive to stuff so I'll go slow and see how it goes. I have multiple infections so I'm prepared to be miserable for awhile. Preparing to hang!