1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering
If you're aware of my previous articles here at Phoenix Rising then it's pretty clear that I don't generally spend my time musing upon the philosophy of the disease. I find it better to spend my time reading research and trying my best to break it down to its core elements and write...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Staph vaccine to treat CFS??

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by SpecialK82, May 4, 2010.

1. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

If mercury is forbidden what adjuvant would you use?
  2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

http://www.fiercebiotech.com/story/nabi-s-staphvax-fails-late-stage-study-for-infections/2005-11-01

Nabi's StaphVax fails late-stage study for infections

October 31, 2005

Nabi Biopharmaceuticals' share price got hammered this morning after the biotech announced that StaphVax failed to reduce infections among kidney patients, flunking a late stage trial. The 3,600 patients in the study demonstrated no reduction in Staphylococcus aureus infections. The biotech swiftly dropped an application for European approval and ended development of a similar staph vaccine. Nabi's stock plunged 67 percent on the news.
  3. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

Don't know but the clinic obviously does.
  4. mellster

mellster Marco

San Francisco
    Thanks - crap, was my article that old? It had no year listed so I assumed it was 2013. Doesn't change the fact that they are continuing to try new formulations and change target groups. Same as with oncology, 4 out of 5 fail but progress is inevitable. I found an article discussing the StaphVax failure, incl. further studies for possible subgroups:
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/805089
  5. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

I was tested at the Breakspear 2 years ago for evidence of Staph as well as a viral panel and Chlamydia Pneumonia. I was negative for Staph ad Chlamydia and EBV but positive for 5 or 6 Herpes type viruses including Cytomegalovirus. Since then I have taken Immunovir and Artesunate with no change to my health or to the ore or less permanent inflamed throat I have had for over 13 years.

Thanks to testing on my Autonomic System though they found one year later that I was more than 50% short of oxygen in my cells and Dr Munro recommended I use an oxygen concentrator for up to 3 times daily and since then I have done this to great effect.

Just wish I knew for sure why I have such low oxygen in my cells.

Pam
  6. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

Nah, I wish! I felt great for one month after the swine flu shot so I'm pretty sure this would help too.
  7. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

The clinic that can not find a replacement?
  8. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

As I wrote above: They searched "the whole western world". Nothing.
  9. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

How does that show they obviously know what adjuvant to use as a replacement for mercury?
  10. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

It doesn't, I misread your post. But that is obviously not an issue since they say they can make a vaccine without mercury. The company which produced the original vaccine could too, they just thought it was too expensive. The problem isn't how, it's money. And yes, the clinic is the Gottfries clinic outside Gothenburg.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  11. Hip

Hip Senior Member

The $900,000 you say is required to develop a new mercury free version of the Staphylococcus vaccine. However, what about just restarting production of the original mercury containing Staphylococcus vaccine (in a country where it is legal to do this)? Presumably that would not cost much.

I think the important thing would be to perform some proper studies on this Staphylococcus vaccine, and publish data on its efficacy for ME/CFS. I don't think there is any data, as far as I am aware, except anecdotal info.

Once there is a published a study on the efficacy of Staphylococcus (and assuming it does have good efficacy), then you can consider creating a mercury free vaccine. And if a restarted production of the mercury containing vaccine was really helping thousands of ME/CFS patients to get significantly better, I don't think you would have any difficulty in raising the $900,000.

Only recently nearly half a $million was raised in just 90 days by crowdsourcing from the ME/CFS community to perform a rituximab trial. I think the money would be raised if the data of efficacy was there.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  12. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Note that mercury in vaccines is not an adjuvant, but a preservative. Aluminum is generally used as the adjuvant in many vaccines.

The function of an adjuvant is to boost the immune system when the vaccine is given; this boost is necessary in order for immune system to be properly trained by the antigen present in the vaccine.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  13. Hip

Hip Senior Member

StaphVax does not appear to be a Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine, which is what you need for ME/CFS. A toxoid vaccine contains a specific toxin made by Staphylococcus called alpha toxin. When you get this toxoid vaccination that contains alpha toxin, it trains your immune system to make antibodies against alpha toxin (but not against the Staphylococcus bacterium itself).

The idea is that the alpha toxin secreted by the Staphylococcus bacteria creates most of the major problems of a Staphylococcus infection, so if the immune system is trained to make neutralizing antibodies against alpha toxin, this will greatly reduce the impact of a Staphylococcus infection.

Just how alpha toxin acts as an immunomodulator that benefits ME/CFS, I do not know.
    Ema likes this.
  14. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

The studies were published years ago, it's all there:

http://www.gottfriesclinic.com/forskning_artiklar.html
  15. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

In animals vaccines it was called an adjuvant.
  16. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

In this case it was a preservative. (My sources are in Swedish, that's why I don't share them here.)
  17. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Thanks very much for that link. In fact, I think have actually seen one or two of those studies before.

Here are the study abstracts:

Treatment with staphylococcus toxoid in fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome--a randomised controlled trial
    "In conclusion, treatment with staphylococcus toxoid injections over 6 months led to significant improvement in patients with FM and CFS. Maintenance treatment is required to prevent relapse."​

Effects of staphylococcus toxoid vaccine on pain and fatigue in patients with fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome
    "Clinical global impressions showed significant improvement in the vaccine-treated group, and VAS did so in both groups. In a follow-up study of 23 patients, the vaccine treatment was continued for 2-6 years. Fifty percent were rehabilitated successfully and resumed half-time or full-time work."​

Long-term treatment with a staphylococcus toxoid vaccine in patients with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome

Immune modulation with a staphylococcal preparation in fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome: relation between antibody levels and clinical improvement.
    "Treatment led to a significantly increased capacity of serum to neutralise alpha-toxin and a significant increase in serum IgG to alpha-toxin and lipase. Furthermore, the increase in these parameters combined paralleled the improvement in clinical outcome. Thus, the greater the serological response, the greater was the clinical effect."​

Immunotherapy of Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome by a Staphylococcus Toxoid Vaccine

Fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome. Aspects on biology, treatment, and symptom evaluation (PhD thesis byOlof Zachrisson)
    "Conclusion. FM and CFS are related conditions that respond to immune modulation with a staphylococcal preparation. Data indicate a relation between antibody response and clinical effect. Nickel allergy is prevalent and predicts poor response to staphylococcal vaccine."​

Well, I think that there is enough clinical evidence there to start money raising campaign. It might be an idea to initially contact Maria Gjerpe in Normway, who is the doctor who has ME/CFS herself that was able to raise ½ $million by crowdfunding for a rituximab trial, and ask her for general advice, and what she did to be so successful in her campaign.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  18. Hip

Hip Senior Member

@Ninan

Do you know much about the history of using Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine to treat ME/CFS? Was this treatment mainly done in Sweden, and mainly done under the monitoring of Professor Gottfries? Or did it also occur in other countries, and by other researchers? I have certainly not heard of it being available in the UK.

And what happened to all the ME/CFS patients in Sweden who were taking Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine, and became healthy enough to go back to work, when the vaccine was withdrawn, as a result of the Swedish FDA ban, due to its mercury preservative?
  19. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

Thanks for the links! I haven't read them.

I'm a journalist myself and have worked with campaigns before. We are a few people thinking about this but we're all pretty, very, sick. I'm normally a 0-1, 2 with a strange side effect of Neurontin.

Maria had the novelity thing on her side -- it was news. This is not really. And I think a lot of people are afraid of vaccines after all the talk of people getting sick from them.

But yes. It can probably be done. Maybe we can pick up the commitment to rituximab -- nothing will happen there in years. Someone should talk to Olof Zachrisson at Gottfries Clinic. Who happens to be one of my doctors. I can ask him how far they've come and what they need and get back to you.
  20. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

I'm pretty sure it was only used here. And the ban only included new patients. I think the ones already using it could go on. But now it doesn't exist anymore, so I guess they had to quit. I can try to get some answers and get back to you. (We should have this conversation under another headline.)

See more popular forum discussions.