• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Staph in Urine Culture - Was Given POISON Pills

Just came back from Urologist where I was supposed to undergo a cystoscopy, he looked at the results of a urine culture test I'd done in the ER last week, showed me the results - Staph hominis 100,000. He gave me Macrodantin which is absolutely the wrong thing ever to give to someone with my issues which is Hemolytic Anemia (IT CAUSES IT), connective tissue dis-ease (have fibro and osteoathritis, carpal tunnel) and on and on. He said to take it and return tomorrow for this test.

I'm thinking and intuiting that this was a tainted sample they took in the ER and I do not have a staph infection. I've felt the same all week since visiting there. I did take onne of these vicious pills and then of course googled the side-effects. FTS I am not taking anymore.

MMS? Oregano oil? Just to be on the safe side. I have to watch these doctors like a hawk and double, triple check everything they want to throw at me.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@missbliss - I don't know whether you have a staph infection or not, but this states that staph hominis accounts for 89% of contaminants: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC104986/
The most common species detected were Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus hominis, and Staphylococcus haemolyticus. These three species accounted for nearly 98% of the clinically significant isolates and 89% of the contaminants. The isolation of other species almost always represented contamination.

I don't know if you would feel comfortable sharing your concerns with your doctor about contamination and, if you do have a staph infection, the appropriate antibiotic. I've had doctors try to give me fluroquinolones 2 or 3 times for minor UTIs and I refused them, and requested a different drug. They weren't happy about doing this but that was too bad and in each case I got an older safer ABX.

Last edited: