• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stanford University: Stem cells shown safe, beneficial for chronic stroke patients

Waverunner

Very interesting study. I hope stroke patients get access to this kind of treatment as soon as they wish.

http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-ne...e-beneficial-for-chronic-stroke-patients.html

"For the trial, the investigators screened 379 patients and selected 18, whose average age was 61. For most patients, at least a full year had passed since their stroke — well past the time when further recovery might be hoped for. In each case, the stroke had taken place beneath the brain’s outermost layer, or cortex, and had severely affected motor function.

“Some patients couldn’t walk,” Steinberg said. “Others couldn’t move their arm.”

Into these patients’ brains the neurosurgeons injected so-called SB623 cells —mesenchymal stem cells derived from the bone marrow of two donors and then modified to beneficially alter the cells’ ability to restore neurologic function.

[Results were astonishing]

“This wasn’t just, ‘They couldn’t move their thumb, and now they can.’ Patients who were in wheelchairs are walking now,” said Steinberg, who is the Bernard and Ronni Lacroute-William Randolph Hearst Professor in Neurosurgery and Neurosciences."

Justin30

Lots coming back to stem cells just need to use them in the right way I guess.

I think this will help our severe ME patients one day once they find the damage or dysfunction.

Waverunner

The results were truly amazing in my eyes, "Patients who were in wheelchairs are walking now". It's necessary that medicine turns towards regeneration and not end-stage treatment of symptoms.