1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Stanford study on Anellovirus-Relevant to Lipkin's findings?

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Ruthie24, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Ruthie24

Ruthie24 Senior Member

New Mexico, USA
    http://engineering.stanford.edu/new...ious-virus-could-be-signal-weak-immune-system

Given that Ian Lipkin found anellovirus in a large percentage of the samples he looked at, wondering if this isn't relevant to us as well. Maybe he could go back and look at the levels of anellovirus in those samples.

"It looks like the anellovirus takes advantage of the lack of immune system surveillance,” De Vlaminck said.
    Why or how is unknown. In fact, scientists know very little about the anellovirus. Since it was first identified in 1997, it has been found in human subjects whenever scientists have looked for its genetic fingerprints. But this common bug has not been identified as the cause of any disease.

But the Stanford scientists did find previous studies involving patients infected with HIV in which levels of anellovirus increased as those unfortunate patients progressed toward AIDS and the full-blown collapse of their immune systems.

These two data points – the increased prevalence of anellovirus measured in the plasma of transplant patients in the Stanford study and the previous findings from AIDS research – provided strong hints that increasing levels of anellovirus indicated a weak immune system."

"Put another way, lower levels of anellovirus suggest a stronger immune system and an elevated risk of organ rejection, while higher levels of anellovirus suggest a weaker immune system with a corresponding shift in risk toward vulnerability to infection."

rosie26, cigana and merylg like this.
  2. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    For anellovirus to be a key player, would you expect a higher prevalence of CFS among transplant patients?
    merylg likes this.
  3. Ruthie24

Ruthie24 Senior Member

New Mexico, USA
    Wonder how many of them have long term symptoms that just get attributed to the transplant?
    natasa778, cigana and merylg like this.
  4. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Agree. Would like Ian Lipkin to reproduce the colorful graphic chart in this article with data from ME/CFS pts. showing abundance (%) for the same eight types, ie. anelloviridae, herpesvirales, etc. over time.
    Ruthie24 likes this.
  5. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I would not. Since anellovirus is found in humans whenever scientists look for it, I would expect that the increased level of it in people with weak immune systems is an effect of the weak immune system, not a cause of it.
    aimossy likes this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
  7. MEandmyFAMILY

MEandmyFAMILY

If the Anellovirus doesn`t cause diseases however it might be a good marker for course of disease in ME?! Maybe even for prognosis?!
    Ruthie24 and Bob like this.
  8. Ruthie24

Ruthie24 Senior Member

New Mexico, USA
    Perhaps, or like Snow Leopards study suggests, perhaps it's a benign virus until the immune system is suppressed and then it's able to penetrate the blood brain barrier and cause more CNS issues thus becoming less of a benign virus.

In that case it might be both a marker of immune dysfunction and a cause of the disease or at least components of the symptoms?

See more popular forum discussions.