A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Stanford Brain MRI and Immune Profiling Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Study

Discussion in 'Active Clinical Studies' started by Dolphin, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Jan, leela, Joh and 10 others like this.
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

I wonder why just right-handed people. $150.00 wouldn't go far for international travel, but I hope some who are within a reasonable distance will be able to participate.

leela, TiredSam and BurnA like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    They are looking at changes in the brain, so don't want left-right confounds to get in the way of identifying such changes. A really large study might be able to include both.

4. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I was about to look into that, but I'm a lefty. Never been called a confound before :wide-eyed:

5. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

Not to your face anyhow :cool:

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Well here is something to confound even me. I am right handed, but I do many things left handed due to muscle damage (presumably ME related) on my right arm ... I simply did too much. So am I right handed, or left handed? What impact would that have on the brain's handedness?

leela, *GG*, TiredSam and 3 others like this.
  7. 62milestogojoe

62milestogojoe What's a forum then?

UK
    Hi Dolphin, thanks for the information. I underwent MRI scan to rule out CVA during the 4 months of eliminatory testing prior to diagnosis with ME. Nothing showed up.

At Osaka university, PET scanning showed revelatory results with everybody scanned with ME showing areas of brain inflammation and none of the healthy controls. Just a thought but I think PET scanning is the way to go.

leela likes this.
  8. 62milestogojoe

UK
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I am no expert but believe there are different ways to do an MRI so your null result may not translate to a null result in this study.

10. 62milestogojoe

UK
    Hi Dolphin, I shot off the hip and will ask at the hospital where I work. We MRI scan. There may well be techniques I am ignorant of. Here is a link to the translated paper. http://jnm.snmjournals.org/content/early/2014/03/21/jnumed.113.131045.full.pdf

Dolphin likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.