1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Stanford Antiviral Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Trial Promises Hope, But More Study Needed

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I am trying to get in touch with Montoya by the way and see if we can find out what he's doing....Stanford is going to be a 'co-sponsor' of the 2014 IACFS/ME Conference - which is encouraging...The Bay area is a hotbed of medical research - having the conference there will be really intriguing..and its a beautiful area as well. Back to my old stomping grounds in the Bay area...:)
  2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Great work Cort - many thanks.
  3. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Love your tag. I hope that

'Sumer is icumen in'

- for sure...I think it could....:)
  4. alice

alice Senior Member

No. CA, USA
    Yes, I really need to know this as I have developed lymphocyctic colitis. I cannot say for sure that antivirals have caused (or contributed to ) this, but if there is a reference then I could talk to my doctor about it. Thanks.

alice
  5. MARGARITA COLOMBO

MARGARITA COLOMBO TAOWAY

No, antivirals don´t kill bacteria directly, but anything altering the gut balance disrupts it, common secondary effects of antiviral drugs are diarrea. As I said, if I were to go on a medical protol I would go for Montoya´s one with no doubt, in fact I have had aciclovir many times in my life when I have needed it and has helped me, but I also do all I can for taking care of my gut. Taking probiotics is one thing that helped me a lot, but my diet was the more important thing I did. Basically I reduced carbs and went for unrefined ones, eating sparragus every day helped me too, and so on. I am sorry if I wasn´t clear.
  6. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Hey Margarita...how much better did you get by working on your gut? On a scale of one to ten on your overall energy level....what change was there?
  7. MARGARITA COLOMBO

MARGARITA COLOMBO TAOWAY

I went from a 2-3 to a 6-7 in daily routines, I was able to go to classes twice a week, doing homeworks, and take care of little house chores, but exercise was the big change, I went from 0 to 7-8. Specially I noticed I had a very good aerobic capicity, curious things happened to me that NEVER in my life happened before. For example one day I had run about 2 kms and was about to start the 3rth leap when I saw an old fríend far ahead, I accelerated my pace to reach her, she was preparing herself for a marathon, we started runing togeher at her pace (much faster than mine) and at the end I acomplished a 5 kms run that day. I sometimes ran 5 or 6 kms. My body was NEVER IN PAIN or anything, in fact about 5 years ago I dont´have or use any medicine for aches or pain, I have had some specially last year, but for about 3 years I never had any pain. My phisical strenght was excelent, but as I said my sleep was poor and hence my cognitive functions were severly bad; I just don´t know if they were worst than before the diet and exercise.
    Cort believe me: I was HAPPY while runing or swiming, and the general feeling I could describe was: I FELT THAT I HAD NO BODY, IT NEVER ACHED, I NEVER HAD TO CARRY IT! never had a cramp, never fatigued, nothing of bizarre symptoms at ALL.
    I think that if we work in having controlled fungus and bacteria, virus stay dormant. Remember I have herpes 2 that bothered me for 15 years, chronic and severe. After runing that much, swiming, etc., I never had a problem with it, that´s what amazed me the must.

Something important is that during that time, I didn´t eat anything sweet, not even fruit. That healed my gut, but now I see i didn´t have enough glucose for my brain to work properly... so it seems like if I had to choose between phisical or mental well being... or not... that´s what I am triying to figure out these days. I making some research in Ayurveda and other sources. I am not sticking to any diet exactly, but doing my own tests.

The secret to be able to refrain from eating some food is to OBSERVE YOUR BODY´S AND YOUR MIND´S REACTION, wathc yoursel internally. For example, when you leave refined sugar, your anxiety lowers tremendously, you never have ups or down, etc.

I hope this helps you, and as I said, as soon as I figure out more, I will post it. Actually I started just today with new ideas about carbs etc., for example:for those of you who suffer from diarrea, I would try eating the carbohidrates you use to eat only in the night. Since I had my stomach infection last year I have had my bowels kind of more sensitive, and I have noticed that carbs make me tired and sleppy (sound logic since they help us produce seratonin and make us relax).

Ok, good luck!

See more popular forum discussions.