• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

stablon/tianeptine possible patent for cfs/me

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Im trying to look into possible treatments for the neurological side of cfs/me, things that may help improve memory, sleep etc that i think are controlled by the brain and that i think have been damaged by infections etc. Here is a copy and past of a part of the Stablon article thats of interest.

Some indication of tianeptine's potential range of application can be gleaned from its various patents. Thus patent US6599896 proposes "...use of tianeptine in the production of medicaments to treat neurodegenerative pathologies...cerebral ischaemia, cerebral traumatism, cerebral aging, Alzheimer's disease, multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, demyelating pathologies, encephalopathies, chronic fatigue syndrome, myalgic encephalomyelitis post-viral fatigue syndrome, the state of fatigue following a bacterial or viral infection, and the dementia syndrome of AIDS”. A prospective, double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial of tianeptine for fibromyalgia is currently under way in Spain. Regular tianeptine use may even be good for one's teeth, though it's unlikely to become a staple of orthodox dentistry. Despite this cornucopia of possibilities, tianeptine is not well known in Anglo-American psychiatry or among the English-speaking lay public. Much of the early literature was published only in French. Servier's present focus is not on tianeptine but the novel melatonin receptor agonist and serotonin 5-HT2C receptor antagonist agomelatine (Valdoxan), EC-licensed from February 2009 as an antidepressant. Unlike tianeptine, agomelatine is comprehensively patent-protected.

I think this type of treatment may just help those that have had a hit and run cause of their ME as well as those who are herpes sub sets and have undergone treatments with antivirals and made good improvement but just arent quite there yet. My thoughts are that there is some neurological damage there and if we can find away to treat this then we may be able to fully recover. I also think adrenal dysfunction plays a big part but i think that this occurs due to the signalling from faulty neurological issues we have. But this is just my thoughts at this stage.

I would be interested in others thoughts and opinions on ways we can treat the neurological damage??

beaverfury

beaverfury

I think this type of treatment may just help those that have had a hit and run cause of their ME as well as those who are herpes sub sets and have undergone treatments with antivirals and made good improvement but just arent quite there yet. My thoughts are that there is some neurological damage there and if we can find away to treat this then we may be able to fully recover.

Yes. Definitely. Absolutely. I felt like my brain had suffered a hit and run when i first got ill.

I wonder if the neuronal overexcitement (or whatever it is) that seems to occur with viral onset is the first symptom that should be treated to potentially lesson other later symptoms.

Stablon is exactly the type of medication that could achieve this.

As for long term neurological improvement, i have no idea. I seem to have made as much quick,functional mind improvement on the GAPS diet and supplementing with probiotics, as i have with other supplements and medication.

I would imagine any healing of neurological damage is going to take time. I have often wondered if this explains the long recovery time for people who make any improvement.