• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

St John's Wort safety alert (UK)

Apple

Thank you for posting this @charles shepherd. I was just about to buy some from one of the brands that had been recalled.

For others: (from the DM link)

Asda St John's Wort (batch number 14279)
Superdrug St John's Wort (batch 14523)
HRI Good Mood (batches 14255, 14662, 14498, 14660).

Large Donner

I remember reading the side effects on a pack of St Johns Wort I came across in an old medicine cabinet once when looking for something for a flu and thinking it was almost comedic. I have never used them, I think it might have frightened me off a little .........

St. John’s wort is LIKELY SAFE when taken by mouth for up to 12 weeks. Some evidence suggests it can be used safely for over one year. It can cause some side effects such as trouble sleeping, vivid dreams, restlessness, anxiety, irritability, stomach upset, fatigue, dry mouth, dizziness, headache, skin rash, diarrhea, and tingling. Take St. John’s wort in the morning or lower the dose if it seems to be causing sleep problems.

St. John’s wort is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when taken by mouth in large dose. When taken by mouth in large doses, it might cause severe reactions to sun exposure. Wear sun block outside, especially if you are light-skinned.

St. John’s wort interacts with many drugs (see the section below). Let your healthcare provider know if you want to take St. John’s wort. Your healthcare provider will want to review your medications to see if there could be any problems.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: St. John’s wort is POSSIBLY UNSAFEwhen taken by mouth during pregnancy. There is some evidence that it can cause birth defects in unborn rats. No one yet knows whether it has the same effect in unborn humans. Nursing infants of mothers who take St. John’s wort can experience colic, drowsiness, and listlessness. Until more is known, do not use St. John’s wort if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.

Children: St. John’s work is POSSLBY SAFE when taken by mouth for up to 8 weeks in children 6-17 years-old.

Infertility: There are some concerns that St. John’s wort might interfere with conceiving a child. If you are trying to conceive, don’t use St. John’s wort, especially if you have known fertility problems.

Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): There is some concern that St. John’s wort might worsen symptoms of ADHD, especially in people taking the medication methylphenidate for ADHD. Until more is known, don’t use St. John’s wort if you are taking methylphenidate.

Bipolar disorder: People with bipolar disorder cycle between depression and mania, a state marked by excessive physical activity and impulsive behavior. St. John’s wort can bring on mania in these individuals and can also speed up the cycling between depression and mania.

Major depression: In people with major depression, St. John’s wort might bring on mania, a state marked by excessive physical activity and impulsive behavior.

Schizophrenia: St. John’s wort might bring on psychosis in some people with schizophrenia.

Alzheimer’s disease: There is concern that St. John’s wort might contribute to dementia in people with Alzheimer’s disease.

Anesthesia: Use of anesthesia in people who have used St. John’s wort for six months may lead to serious heart complications during surgery. Stop using St. John’s wort at least two weeks before a scheduled surgery.

Surgery: St. John’s wort might affect serotonin levels in the brain and as a result interfere with surgical procedures. Stop using St. John’s wort at least two weeks before a scheduled surgery.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-329-st john's wort.aspx?activeingredientid=329&activeingredientname=st john's wort

Last edited: