• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SSD and an inheritance

Misfit Toy

Does anyone know if you are on Social Security Disability, not SSD, but disability if you receive an inheritance, is that ok? I have been told for years that it is.

I spoke to an elder lawyer today who says I need to speak to my caseworker (which is hilarious because people with SSD don't have a caseworker) and find out if my inheritance could affect my SSD benefits. I am not receiving medicaid or food stamps, so this whole thing is crazy to me.

I don't like asking anyone for help anymore because sometimes I know more than they do, and this guy is a lawyer.

Has anyone else on here received an inheritance while being on SSD/Medicare?

Ema

As far as I know (having just gone through the whole process recently), SSDI is not dependent on income.

SSI is the program administered also by the SSA that is dependent on income. If you're receiving SSDI of more than about $600/mo, you're probably ineligible for SSI so that likely won't apply.

http://www.mysocialsecurityattorney.com/blog/does-inheritance-affect-disability-benefits

If you call your local field office, they should be able to put your mind at ease.

Nielk

SSDI is definitely not dependent on any income. SSI, which is supplemental for the needy is dependent on income.
If what you are receiving is regular social security disability, this can't be touched.

Misfit Toy

That is what I thought. I have known this for years and I even remember going to SSD...a place nearby for those on SSD and asking them. But this Elder lawyer who is supposed to know all of this kept telling me I was wrong and also couldn't understand why I don't have a caseworker. I have never known anyone on SSD to have a caseworker. So....I will not use this lawyer ever...that's for sure! He's mixed up.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I agree with all the others. Disability income from social security (called SSDI or SSD) is not the same thing as the needs based program SSI, supplemental income. Once you get approved for disability benefits then the monthly amount is based on what you paid into the system during the years you worked. The amount of assets you own (house, bank account, etc.) and any passive income (interest, dividends, inheritance) won't change anything. They would only care if your income came from working.

Because I'm married, and my husband works, our joint income is much more than just my social security disability. My monthly amount was never affected by how much our income went up or down over the years.

What has changed, because we file a joint tax return, is how much gets deducted each month for my Medicare premiums. When our joint income was higher (before he retired and went to part time consulting) then my Medicare premiums were higher (totally fair). When our income went down, my premiums went down.

I think an inheritance counts as income (shows up on your tax return). But even so, it would have to be a pretty large amount before it mattered. Any individual with an income of less than $85,000 per year pays the standard Medicare premium. The premium is only increased if your income is more than that.

See http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10536.html#a0=5 for a table with details

I short, I don't think this affects you unless your inheritance is huge AND it counts as normal taxable income. Even then, I think it just means that your Medicare premiums would go up for that one year of increased income and then come back down again. If your inheritance is that big you can probably afford the extra premiums.

However, I'm not a lawyer, so please don't rely on my info!

Of course, I have no clue about any other issues (there will be blood taxes!) with an inheritance but I'm assuming your lawyer actually knows about that part of the issue. I'm just surprised that a lawyer can be so easily confused about how it will impact social security disability payments. I hope the medicare.gov site has the information you need.

PS. I made a little joke above but I actually don't mind paying my taxes. I consider it part of living in a civilized society. And taxes in the USA are at a 30 year low for almost all groups. Just thought I'd clarify in case someone took my joke the wrong way.

Misfit Toy

I have SSD...not SSI. I am straight up Medicare and I receive money every month. Disability. Social Security Disability. And...I don't have much money from the inheritance. I just looked up SSDI and it's saying it's Social Security Disability Insurance. I don't know what that means. I know that I had to hire a lawyer, go to court, be seen by numerous doctors, I have a medicare card and receive money into my bank account every month. And, I can work on SSD. I don't have food stamps.

I hope that answers some questions. I don't qualify for Medicaid. Etc.....

Yes, the fact that this lawyer didn't know this was good enough reason for me to get off of the phone.

Ocean

I am 99.9% sure the following is correct: You won't be affected by the inheritance. SSDI is based on money you made when you worked not how much you have now. SSI is based on income need and has different qualifications. Since you have SSDI (it's like disability insurance from the government) you can have all the money in the world and still qualify. However earning money through work is a different story but money from assets, gifts, inheritance etc is fine.