• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Squishy mattress advice wanted!

Wolfiness

Activity Level 0
I am trying a bed from these folks www.laybrook.com/adjustable-bed-mattresses but found that their Memory Foam Mattress (soft) was not soft enough - it was unyielding and hurt my ribs (side sleeper). They have offered me an exchange - does anyone know whether any of their other types www.laybrook.com/adjustable-bed-mattresses might be better?
I like a really squishy saggy mattress but I also like a low overall bed height. Smell not a problem. I'm currently on a saggy old pocket sprung mattress with a 2 inch foam topper and I like it but it's the wrong size for the new bed. Thanks :( :(

Last edited:

Wolfiness

Activity Level 0
(I know I could solve all this with a squishy topper but that would add three inches so I'd prefer to avoid it)

valentinelynx

That's why I use 9-10 pillows on top of our memory foam mattress. They pad my pressure points and support limbs that otherwise start to ache if left hanging. I have 3-4 soft pillows under my head, a soft pillow under my shoulders, one firmer pillow on each side of my back, a firm one under my knees and a firm one under my feet. I sleep on my back exclusively. Sleeping on my side hurts my hip bones and ribs and causes my upper hip joint to ache. I don't think any single mattress could replace the pillow "nest."

Wolfiness

Activity Level 0
Blimey! Have you checked to see if the problem might be a pea under your mattress? :p

It would be easier but I just can't go to sleep on my back. Even if I'm nodding off it feels psychologically agonising somehow and I have to turn. Maybe it feels exposed, even with heavy covers on top.

valentinelynx

Have you checked to see if the problem might be a pea under your mattress? :p

Oh yes, I've certainly considered I might be suffering from Princess-syndrome... ;)

I never used to sleep on my back—only started with this illness and all the tender, achey body parts... I used to sleep most securely on my stomach, in fact. But, on a more serious note, for folks who cannot sleep on their backs, I would make sure that they are not suffering from sleep apnea. That could certainly feel psychologically agonizing, as you would keep waking up due to lack of air exchange (high CO2 feels anxiety provoking even before oxygen levels drop).

Wolfiness

Activity Level 0
Well I do sleep on my back mostly, I just can't *fall* asleep like that, I need to curl up. Maybe I can train myself out of it. I guess I will end up with a mattress topper though.

LaurelW

Even memory foam mattresses come in lots of variations, from soft to firm. I have such a conundrum between needing softness for my fibro pain and good enough back support for my lower back /SI joint problems.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Even memory foam mattresses come in lots of variations, from soft to firm. I have such a conundrum between needing softness for my fibro pain and good enough back support for my lower back /SI joint problems.
A bolster under the knees helps support the lower back. This has helped me immensely with chronic low back pain. Consistency in using it helps.
This is what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007LCB5O

Wolfiness

Activity Level 0
So if I use a topper over memory foam will it feel less squashy than a topper over regular foam? I mean because memory foam requires warmth to squish and if I am not lying directly on it then it may not get warm enough to squish?

Last edited:

PennyIA

I didn't post here before because I can't recommend a replacement from the company that is offering a replacement.

But I found that an inexpensive option was an aero bed (though inexpensive also means needing replacement)... and a 4" memory foam topper and a pillow top mattress pad on top of it.

I've never had any issues with memory foam not conforming due to the mattress pad on top... it still squishes and recovers just fine without direct heat application. The pillow top just adds a little more 'squish' than you get with the foam itself AND I found that the 4" memory foam tended to get too warm with contact and the pillow top helped keep the memory foam from heating up.

When my aero bed went flat, I went back to the old, ucky, too firm for me mattress under the 4" memory foam and pillow top and found that it still gave enough for my old mattress new use. I've since purchased the two toppers for both of my son's beds and now for my son in law's bed as well. They all love it even without chronic issues.

PennyIA

Thanks PennyIA - by pillow top mattress pad do you mean a downy type mattress topper?
I haven't seen a ton of those outside of Ikea (which is too far away from us to shop frequently). The ones we bought online were simply quilted with fiberfill... like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Quilted-Fitt...77438994&sr=8-3&keywords=quilted+mattress+pad

And definitely on the less expensive end of the spectrum. I can have some issues sometimes with down, so I've been avoiding it in the hopes that it doesn't flare into a full fledged allergy.