1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Cognitive testing causes mental exhaustion lasting days
Simon McGrath takes a brief look at a recent paper that reveals some of the most powerful evidence of cognitive problems in people with ME/CFS to date...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Square One: WPI closed down; XRx blog, 10/2/11

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by justinreilly, Oct 2, 2011.

1. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    :hug: Sending virtual chicken soup. I hope that means your immune system is functioning better (that's what I've told myself on the very rare occasions I've had a cold since I got ME/CFS).
  2. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Announcement from WPI FB page:

The Whittemore Peterson Institute is announcing the departure of Dr. Judy Mikovits from WPI. We wish to thank her for her previous work and commitment. The WPI remains committed to a comprehensive research program. Our research team and program remains active, and our lab open to authorized employees. We will continue the critical work of finding answers to M.E. and related diseases.

We will use the opportunity created by the departure of Dr. Mikovits to do a full evaluation of our research lab and current research projects. WPI is dedicated to the highest standards in research and patient care, and to advocating for the patients, families and caregivers we exist to serve.

--
    Michael Hillerby
    Whittemore Peterson Institute
    University of Nevada, Reno MS 0552
    1664 N. Virginia St.
    Reno, NV 89557-0552
    (775) 682-8250
  3. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I think the key phrase might be "authorized employees." Maybe it was not closed down all the way, but only to certain people, and research put on hold until they can figure out who will do what.
  4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks for the latest info Nielk - that full evaluation of lab and current research projects created by the departure of Dr Mikovits does sound like some differences of the emphases perhaps.
  5. Firestormm

Firestormm Content Team Lead

Cornwall England
    'Whittemore told the Health Blog that she and Mikovits were not seeing eye-to-eye on who controlled the cells. Research on retroviruses and their possible connection to CFS as well as other diseases continues, she said. We will keep going down that path as long as it continues to show promise, Whittemore says.'

Addendum to Wall Street Journal Article posted elsewhere. Note the reference to retroviruses. Questions, questions, questions...
  6. moonchild

moonchild

Australia

Daffodil, one of my first thoughts was about the sequencing. Just two days before I had read the quote from Dr. Mikovits and had such renewed hope that we were on the cusp of a big development...the timing of this just seems too cruel. And yet, reading Dr. Deckoff - Jones's blog, it seems that she must have known about the situation with the WPI at the time of the Ottawa conference and when she made that statement (which only makes me admire her more than ever).
  7. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    On the cusp of a big development - just hope she can continue her valuable work in some other place whatever happened at the WPI.
  8. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    What about Isentress (raltegravir)?

See more popular forum discussions.