• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Splitting Pills

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I did do a search on this, but you know how that goes.

I have some capsules of powder that I need to split into 8 doses. I am not sure just how to go about it. Mostly what to do with piles of powder that I dont take right away. I figured someone here had done this before and has some advice.

Yep, if you buy empty capsules you can get the vegetarian type which cost more but are supposed to be healthier, or the normal gelatin type.

There are also "capsule filler" devices for around $20 if you want to do many at once. Basically they are plastic molds with little slots for the capsules, then you can pour powder and level it out, filling many capsules. You still have to place each capsule half manually. The "Cap M Quick" brand has much higher reviews than the other main brand and handles more at a time. Personally I am not sold on the capsule fillers. I would be curious to try one, but I think I'll save the money and do it manually. I am using small zip top baggies to store powder and help from making a mess.

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
Good timing with this question. I tried this for the first time last night as I attempted to divide my 4.5 mg capsules of LDN into 4 equal parts. I ordered size 4 empty capsules online, which seem to be the prefect size. Any smaller, and they would be too difficult to handle.

I simply dumped the contents of one LDN capsule onto a clean table and used the edge of a credit card (a razor blade would have been better) to scrape the powder into a uniform line about two inches long, trying to make sure the powder was evenly divided along the entire line. Then I split the line into 4 equal sections. Then I simply used one half of an empty capsule to scoop up a section of the line, using the credit card on the other end to force the powder into the capsule. This usually took 4 or 5 scoops before the entire pile was transferred into the capsule, then closed the capsule and repeated the process 3 more times.

It wasn't exactly scientific precision, but it worked well enough. I'll be checking back with this thread for better ideas...

Ocean

Good timing with this question. I tried this for the first time last night as I attempted to divide my 4.5 mg capsules of LDN into 4 equal parts. I ordered size 4 empty capsules online, which seem to be the prefect size. Any smaller, and they would be too difficult to handle.

I simply dumped the contents of one LDN capsule onto a clean table and used the edge of a credit card (a razor blade would have been better) to scrape the powder into a uniform line about two inches long, trying to make sure the powder was evenly divided along the entire line. Then I split the line into 4 equal sections. Then I simply used one half of an empty capsule to scoop up a section of the line, using the credit card on the other end to force the powder into the capsule. This usually took 4 or 5 scoops before the entire pile was transferred into the capsule, then closed the capsule and repeated the process 3 more times.

It wasn't exactly scientific precision, but it worked well enough. I'll be checking back with this thread for better ideas...

PWCalvin, There was a recent post talking about adding liquid to LDN and diving doses that way. I think GGingues wrote the post if you want to look it up

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Thanks all,

I think I will be buying some empty capsules, which may not be easy in my rural area. I need to divide some smallish capsules into 8 really small doses. I am afraid that if I put them in zip top bags, too much of it would stick to the bag when I tried to get it out and take it. I dont know if the vitamin B2 that I am dividing is water soluble.

Ocean

Thanks all,

I think I will be buying some empty capsules, which may not be easy in my rural area. I need to divide some smallish capsules into 8 really small doses. I am afraid that if I put them in zip top bags, too much of it would stick to the bag when I tried to get it out and take it. I dont know if the vitamin B2 that I am dividing is water soluble.

You can order them from Amazon, and can do a rush order if you need them right away.