The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Spinal Tap Results

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by jimells, Jun 28, 2012.

1. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    The lumbar puncture wasn't as bad as I was expecting, although I was surprised how hard he had to push to get that needle in. Before he started, I asked the (nurse? nurse practitioner?), "Will it hurt like bloody hell? Please tell me the truth!" It wasn't pleasant, but it didn't hurt much.

Anyway, the results:
    OLIGOCLONAL BANDS no bands

CELL COUNT/DIFF
    WBC-CSF 0.0 0-5
    RBC-CSF 27 0 HIGH

BODY FLUID DIFF
    SEGS 4
    LYMPH 7
    MONONUCLEAR 10

Glucose (CSF) 54 40-80
    T. Protein, CSF 37 15-45

Gram Stain Final no bacteria seen
    CSF Culture no growth 48 hrs

RPR nonreactive

The tests were ordered by a neurologist; my impression is he is looking for signs of MS. I was hoping there would've been many more tests done, especially for viruses.

I'm guessing the high Red Blood Cell indicates a 'tramatic tap', perhaps? I don't know what SEGS and MONONUCLEAR refer to, or why there are no reference ranges.

According to Lab Tests Online, RPR is a quick test for syphylis that gives false positives for various other problems. Would this be a quick and dirty way to test for the presence of viruses?

2. L'engle

L'engle moogle

Canada
    Yikes. hope your recovery goes well. I don't know too much about what the results mean. I gather it makes a difference whether the test is ordered/interpreted by someone who specializes in ME/CFS?

See more popular forum discussions.