• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Spicy foods?

outdamnspot

Has anyone here with gut issues found they have to avoid spicy foods?

I like the clearheadedness chillis etc. give me, and have read that Cayenne is good for Candida, so have been liberally dousing it on my eggs before bed. I've noticed a deterioration in my physical state (wasn't sure if it was linked) and also a lot of diarrhea today; I then read that hot peppers can make leaky gut worse, so am wondering if it's best to avoid.

arewenearlythereyet

Has anyone here with gut issues found they have to avoid spicy foods?

I like the clearheadedness chillis etc. give me, and have read that Cayenne is good for Candida, so have been liberally dousing it on my eggs before bed. I've noticed a deterioration in my physical state (wasn't sure if it was linked) and also a lot of diarrhea today; I then read that hot peppers can make leaky gut worse, so am wondering if it's best to avoid.
Capsaicin ( the chemical found in the capsicum family ...chill is etc) is a known irritant. Chilli heat is actually fed back to the brain via pain receptors not taste buds, hence you get sensations from mouth all the way through. It also means the more you eat the more the brain dials down the pain perception.

I believe some people use it to loosen stools but tbh I would just use soluble fibre and a balanced diet for that

outdamnspot

Capsaicin ( the chemical found in the capsicum family ...chill is etc) is a known irritant. Chilli heat is actually fed back to the brain via pain receptors not taste buds, hence you get sensations from mouth all the way through. It also means the more you eat the more the brain dials down the pain perception.

I believe some people use it to loosen stools but tbh I would just use soluble fibre and a balanced diet for that

Aside from loosening stools, does the fact that it's an irritant mean it could make gut issues (like compromised permeability) worse?

arewenearlythereyet

Aside from loosening stools, does the fact that it's an irritant mean it could make gut issues (like compromised permeability) worse?
I don't know the answer to that one.....although prolonged periods of diahorrea could upset the gut flora according to some studies. Not much is known in this area to draw too many conclusions though...it's very early days in terms of research.

All I would say is that a lot of cultures around the world use a lot of chilli in their diet and it doesn't seem to be a cause for concern. However, the way the brain deals with it in a "normal" person may not be the same in someone who has an illness related to immune dysfunction.

In the absence of anything else I would go for an "in moderation" approach, and take the view that diarrhoea is a bad sign...but maybe someone else has a view.

outdamnspot

Okay, thank you. When I get a new crash I try to look at every factor (almost paranoically), so it could be completely unrelated, but I'll cut it out for now and see if I improve.

arewenearlythereyet

Okay, thank you. When I get a new crash I try to look at every factor (almost paranoically), so it could be completely unrelated, but I'll cut it out for now and see if I improve.
I know what you mean....I've had a particularly bad patch for over a week....makes you question everything doesn't it. Good luck hope it passes soon

perchance dreamer

Too much spicy food irritates my digestive track a little. It's hard because I love hot food and live in Austin, Texas, where Mexican food is king.

My favorite Mexican hot sauce is made with pureed jalapenos and garlic, a little oil, and salt. It's delicious, and I could swim in a vat of it. I can eat some if I use it sparingly.

lafarfelue

I tend to agree with arewethereyet, that it should be okay in moderation and once you've adjusted to it. Some people are more 'reactive' to the irritant levels when starting out, however there's good evidence out there that including hot spices in diets tends towards 'beneficial' end of the scale.

I hope the poop problems resolve themselves with a bit of time and adjustment, if resulting from your adding spice to your diet! (Cayenne is very spicy! Easy to overdo it at first :) )