The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Speech Difficulties

Discussion in 'Cognition' started by Junto, Dec 19, 2012.

1. ithought

ithought

Wales uk
    I am aware of ' not needing speech therapist' however there expertise can advise you on equipment that is most suitable to enable you to communicate. I have had no speech for over a week now, this isn't slurred speech it's a totally inability to process thoughts into speech or for them to even get as far as my moth muscles. Some people with very severe me will lose all ability to communicat via speech.

2. Santilion

Santilion

I've been stuttering for almost my whole life and since I got afflicted by ME it got considerably worse. I used to think it was merely due to a decline of my psychological health or because of my general drowsiness and tiredness.

However, after reading a recent study about a possible cause to stuttering, I got pretty bewildered. It was shown that stuttering could possibly be caused by a reduced blood flow to two certain parts of the brain that, not too surprising, are heavily involved with the speech.

Since me/cfs is believed to decrease the blood flow in the body, especially the brain, this could possibly account for an increased stuttering due to the applied decrease of blood flow.

The study: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hbm.23487/abstract;jsessionid=F90FA1071AD28550B94CB5EDDB7FBE7D.f04t04?systemMessage=WOL Usage report download page will be unavailable on Friday 27th January 2017 at 23:00 GMT/ 18:00 EST/ 07:00 SGT (Saturday 28th Jan for SGT) for up to 2 hours due to essential server maintenance. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Jennifer J, ithought and coomacats like this.
  3. tudiemoore

tudiemoore Senior Member

Southeast U.S.
    Once again, it's not just me!
    When I'm with others it sometimes seems that I can't get the word from my brain to my mouth or I am still choosing words I want as I am already speaking.

When I am writing and or thinking about a specific topic, at times I cannot, absolutely cannot, come up with the word I want to use. This goes beyond word lose that so many have for a brief moment.
    My mind is a bottomless hole, there is no word, not even a hint of one. It passes and the word comes.

Almost as distressful is searching for a word and coming up with a mental picture and a word for something either in the same group, shovel--rake, or that has the same function, spoon--ladle.
    This disturbs me, especially due to having watched my mother as the devastation of Allzheimer's took her away.

And so it goes--
    tm

4. lior

lior Senior Member

London
    So interesting to see all these descriptions. I'm finding recently that if I stay out in the evening with friends, I seem to get as drunk as them without drinking a drop. I'm on water, baby! I slur words and I forget things and I feel dizzy. I probably seem drunker than them. I also speak longer sentences cos it's harder to communicate efficiently/ succinctly.

So... at least I can get some of the effects of being drunk... without the pleasure feeling and without the tastiness of drinks. Oh well.

See more popular forum discussions.