• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SPECT, PET, and CT, which brain scans reveal more?

amaru7

Hi,

I had EEG done and it didn't show what's wrong neurologically. Which one of the other tests has more of a diagnostic value to it and I should go for as long as my insurance covers it. To my knowledge now PET seems to be one of the more modern options, but is also very expensive, it shows metabolism, SPECT is as I understand for oxygen flow and CT I didn't read alot about yet, which one is most recommended if you had to chose? And also could that contrast radioactive stuff they inject do even more damage to health?

amaru7

I'll answer myself PET probably is the better option but spect is also good and often does show brain pathology in CFS ME.

Last edited:

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I think it may be likely to be individual.

Any of those tests have a potential to show something wrong in people like us (CT scan most unlikely: MRI, PET scan, EEG, and SPECT more likely), but it probably varies which test would show up something interesting. Also it may be that certain techniques are required (I don't know if anything special is needed in EEG).

It also depends on who is reading the images. Some radiologists will sometimes miss something very significant, and some will miss something that is more unusual or more subtle, such as something that is out of place due to age (but might be "normal" in an older patient, such as the small spots we might have on MRI).