1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Specific oxidative alterations in vastus lateralis muscle in CFS (2000)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Another Italian muscle study where I probably won't be able to contribute much but thought I'd post as I found it interesting and also it doesn't seem to have got much attention:

2. Tony Mach

Tony Mach Show me the evidence.

Upper Palatinate, Bavaria
  3. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, Dolphin.

Note that in this study the glutathione measurement was of total plasma glutathione. Oxidative stress is associated in ME/CFS with a depletion of the reduced or active form of glutathione, which was not measured separately in this study. The plasma reduced glutathione is measured separately in the methylation pathways panel offered by the Health Diagnostics and Research Institute in the U.S. and by the European Laboratory of Nutrients in the Netherlands, and in most PWMEs it is found to be low. In some, however, it is found to be in the normal range. My limited data suggest that these people have polymorphisms in one or more of the enzymes that use glutathione, i.e. the glutathione peroxidases and/or glutathione transferases.

Best regards,

Rich

See more popular forum discussions.