• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Specific oxidative alterations in vastus lateralis muscle in CFS (2000)

Dolphin

Another Italian muscle study where I probably won't be able to contribute much but thought I'd post as I found it interesting and also it doesn't seem to have got much attention:

Specific oxidative alterations in vastus lateralis muscle of patients with the diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome.

Free Radic Biol Med. 2000 Dec 15;29(12):1252-9.

Fulle S, Mecocci P, Fan G, Vecchiet I, Vecchini A, Racciotti D, Cherubini A, Pizzigallo E, Vecchiet L, Senin U, Beal MF.

Source

Lab. Interuniversitario di Miologia, Dip. Biologia Cellulare e Molecolare, Universit di Perugi, Perugia, Italy.

Abstract

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a poorly understood disease characterized by mental and physical fatigue, most often observed in young white females.

Muscle pain at rest, exacerbated by exercise, is a common symptom.

Although a specific defect in muscle metabolism has not been clearly defined, yet several studies report altered oxidative metabolism.

In this study, we detected oxidative damage to DNA and lipids in muscle specimens of CFS patients as compared to age-matched controls, as well as increased activity of the antioxidant enzymes catalase, glutathione peroxidase, and transferase, and increases in total glutathione plasma levels.

From these results we hypothesize that in CFS there is oxidative stress in muscle, which results in an increase in antioxidant defenses.

Furthermore, in muscle membranes, fluidity and fatty acid composition are significantly different in specimens from CFS patients as compared to controls and to patients suffering from fibromyalgia.

These data support an organic origin of CFS, in which muscle suffers oxidative damage.

PMID: 11118815 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

richvank

Hi, Dolphin.

Note that in this study the glutathione measurement was of total plasma glutathione. Oxidative stress is associated in ME/CFS with a depletion of the reduced or active form of glutathione, which was not measured separately in this study. The plasma reduced glutathione is measured separately in the methylation pathways panel offered by the Health Diagnostics and Research Institute in the U.S. and by the European Laboratory of Nutrients in the Netherlands, and in most PWMEs it is found to be low. In some, however, it is found to be in the normal range. My limited data suggest that these people have polymorphisms in one or more of the enzymes that use glutathione, i.e. the glutathione peroxidases and/or glutathione transferases.

Best regards,

Rich