Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Speaking of biomarkers...

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by urbantravels, Jan 12, 2011.

1. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    New article in the journal Nature with a commentary on the sorry state of biomarker research - looks like we aren't the only ones with a problem.

Anyone got a Nature sub and can get the full text?

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v469/n7329/full/469156a.html

Bring on the biomarkers
    George Poste

Journal name: Nature
    Volume: 69,
    Pages: 156157
    Date published: (13 January 2011)
    DOI:
    10.1038/469156a

Published online
    12 January 2011

Nature | Comment

Bring on the biomarkers
    George Poste

The dismal patchwork of fragmented research on disease-associated biomarkers should be replaced by a coordinated 'big science' approach, argues George Poste.

2. illsince1977

illsince1977 A shadow of my former self

I wonder if the article is related to the editorial in the same issue.
    First do no harm http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v469/n7329/full/469132a.html , which focuses on a lack of biomarkers in psychiatric diagnoses. There is also a downloadable article about a new(?) tool Japanese neuroscientists are using as a biomarker in mental illness NIRS. Wonder how our brains would read on this? Would the results be more grist for the mill that considers ours a mental illness rather than a physical/organic one that does CNS damage? Who knows! I can't imagine that we have been part of the test population despite having heard Japan is ahead of many other governments in taking CFS seriously.
    I do not have access to the article you started this thread about. Sorry!

See more popular forum discussions.