Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Spanish study: Risk of suicide due to neglect amongst PWME [people with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis]

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, May 22, 2016.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Asa, Snow Leopard and alex3619 like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    We don't have enough information to properly evaluate this. If I read Spanish and could get hold of the PhD thesis, or there was an English version of the entire thesis, and I had the energy, then maybe I could say a lot. I do see this issue in everyday life for PWME though. Its not a surprise.

3. msf

msf Senior Member

To put this in context, suicide rates have increased significantly in Spain since the recession.

4. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    full text of thesis (in Spanish): http://uvadoc.uva.es/bitstream/10324/13868/1/Tesis705-150928.pdf

The first part of this thesis consists of an overview of the literature on ME/CFS, and an overview of a whole range of concepts that define ‘depression’. The hypothesis is then empirically tested through extensive questionaires filled out by patients at home.

Patients willing to participate were found through various Spanish patient organisations. The requirements were: having a diagnosis of ME/CFS (Canadian Criteria), and residing anywhere in Spain. An extensive packet of questionaires was sent to each patient to be filled out and sent back (by post).

Used questionaires: depression (BDI), hopelessness (BHS), suicide risk (BDI), hope (Snyder ADHS), sense of coherence (SOC-13), locus of control (Rotter Scale), social support (Vaux SS-A-R), coping (Folkman/Lazarus WOC-RR), psychological wellbeing (Ryff SPWB), and quality of life (SF-36).

205 out of 216 of the filled out questionaires (79,99%) were deemed valid. 187 participants were women, 18 were men. 41 were single, 119 married or in a long-term relationship, 37 divorced and 8 widowed. Schooling level: 14 primary level education, 39 lower secondary level education, 72 higher secondary level education, and 80 university level education.

Limitations of the study that he mentions: age range of participants and geographical range were on the narrow side.

Conclusion: the probability for ME/CFS patients to have depression, hopelessness and suicide risk can be found in three areas (automatic google translation):
    Results in numbers:

Asa, Sean and Dolphin like this.

See more popular forum discussions.