1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Spanish govt withdraw disability pension because patient gives online support

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by JoanDublin, Jul 11, 2014.

1. JoanDublin

JoanDublin Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    Came across this on Twitter. Spanish govt have taken away the disability pension of a severely ill MEcfs person because they say if he can give online support, then he can work! Please read the attached and perhaps consider sending an image and/or a note of support for their campaign. Email is in the attached link Many thanks
    https://t.co/DheIL5O5ua

Esther12, SilverbladeTE and Valentijn like this.
  2. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

would they have done the same if he had MS? doubt it.

3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    How ridiculous ... I wonder if they're targeting him because he's the president of a support group. There's a huge difference between giving advice at your convenience over the internet, and holding down a job with ANY quality or hours-based requirements.

Disgraceful.

taniaaust1, Ema, SOC and 4 others like this.
  4. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    f' typical!

yes I can chat on the Net, yet get sick worn out walking to local shop , and doing art purely for fun rips hell out of me.
    Now we can't work unless we have this very light and do suitable low intensity, little if any travel work

more weights on the scales against government tosspots, bureaucratic jellyfish and psych scum

JoanDublin likes this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member

There were cases here in Canada where people were stripped of their disability benefits from posting vacation pictures on their facebook pages. Not neccessarily people with ME but we have to be careful because they don't understand our illness.

This was on the news a few years ago

Cheshire and Valentijn like this.
  6. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

Interesting. So if you are getting disability you have to stay home while the rest of the family takes a vacation? And lying on your couch and typing a few lines between naps means you are employable?

taniaaust1, SDSue, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Best luck to all affected, especially the person mentioned here. Good way of undermining any attempt at advocacy.

taniaaust1, Sean, Aileen and 3 others like this.
  8. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Community Support Volunteer

USA
    Wow that is disgraceful. I guess it validates why I am not on Facebook Twitter or any website in which you use your real name or picture.

9. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I found a webpage in Spanish about this, and got a rather poor Google translation of it:

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...HuM&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb

So, if they want to make people work because they can, and do, help fellow-patients (and who else does if you have ME or MCS?), perhaps they could find a suitable job for such people. One with completely flexible hours that allows one to suddenly stop work and lie down for unpredictable periods, to take days, weeks or months off sick, to work slowly, to be unable to meet deadlines, to take frequent breaks of unpredictable length, to avoid chemical exposure, and perhaps to work from one's bed?

I'm sure many of us would happily do such a job - paid work is better than benefits! But where are such jobs?

10. Mij

Mij Senior Member

. . . and would allow us not shower for days or weeks because it makes those of us with OI or NMH symptoms worse.

11. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

Finally, another one of the great unwashed. I really miss those long, hot soaks.

Sidereal, Mij and Valentijn like this.
  12. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    This is a horrid situation that also threatened those of us in the UK who helped other patients a few years ago. Please take action to help the Spanish patients who are having their benefits removed for helping others on the internet.

Thanks.

CG.

http://www.ligasfc.org/?p=704

taniaaust1, Sean, Thinktank and 2 others like this.
  13. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Those who forget the past, are doomed to repeat its mistakes

the Elite are pushing Eugenics again, same as before, all really about saving them pittance in tax no matter how many die

Sean and Wildcat like this.
  14. Mij

Mij Senior Member

15. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  16. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    if it was someone with cancer supporting others, there would be donations flooding in for them.
    WEIRD?

Sidereal, Mij, JBB and 5 others like this.
  17. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Yeah, its just another example of how differently "biases" we are being treated compared to other illnesses.

heapsreal and SilverbladeTE like this.

See more popular forum discussions.