1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Soya milk tastes rank!

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by snowathlete, May 23, 2013.

1. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    lemon also not good for me apparently. :cry:
    Im basically allergic to everything I like, and the stuff I'm not allergic to I don't generally eat. what really concerns me is if i start eating new stuff, maybe then I would become allergic to that too - I dont know.
  2. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    I'm gonna try those things...if i can find somewhere that sells them. Rice milk too, though not from China!!
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Argh... all very difficult...
    snowathlete likes this.
  4. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    sorbet. good call!!! thanks. Cant have lemon, but other stuff should be ok i think
  5. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    And coconut milk ice-cream! Yum!

Sushi
    golden, Moxie and snowathlete like this.
  6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    The lemon in the banana/raspberry "sorbet" was just to prevent browning - you could get away without it, I reckon. And you could use other fruits instead of raspberry.
    snowathlete likes this.
  7. Gypsy

Gypsy Senior Member

USA
    One potential problem with coconut milk is that it contains GUAR GUM and other types of gums like locust bean gum. These can cause terrible bloating in people with IBS.

Coconut ice cream is delicious, but most of it contains guar gum AND inulin or chicory root. Do not eat inulin or chicory root if you have IBS! Feeds the bad bugs and can cause badddd cramps/gas.

Two almond milks which contain no guar gum are Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Vanilla (like it a lot)
    And Pacific Foods organic almond milk

Are you allowed to drink lactose free milk?
    cph13 and snowathlete like this.
  8. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    I've always been lactose intolerant. I USED to be able to tolerate some cheese and milk in cooking (but sadly, not anymore). And I USED to be able to use Lactaid (either in pill form or in the milk I used for cooking); just not anymore.

My first attempt at non-dairy milk was Almond Milk - vanilla sweetened by Almond Breeze (not sure if that's available everywhere). Since I've NEVER tolerated milk, I've never actually liked the flavor of it - but would use it in various things. OMG - the Almond Milk is amazingly good. I really do prefer it over regular milk by taste.

Now, if only I could find real, melt-able almond cheese and a good, yummy gluten free pizza crust.... that's what I miss the most, a good slice of pizza.
    snowathlete likes this.
  9. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Dont think so, my lactose breath test came back normal, but my food alergies panel showed very high for all dairy stuff.
  10. Moxie

Moxie

VA
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk is my favorite replacement, so far. It does taste a little nutty, but the vanilla helps to balance it out. I haven't tried rice milk yet, but don't do soy for all the reasons listed. Unsweetened coconut milk "beverage" is too bland and thin. I don't like to drink any of the sweetened substitutes since I'm avoiding sugar.

(I just saw Sushi's post - I've not tried Hemp either. I honestly can't say I've ever even seen it, but will keep an eye out.)

I completely feel your pain on this. I'm a cheese, cream, ice cream, yogurt, butter lover!! No longer, though...
    snowathlete likes this.
  11. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    my bold. I cannot believe these things are leaving my life. :cry::cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:...lattes too :cry:...and milkshakes :cry:...it's just cruel and wrong and unfair.:thumbdown:
  12. Hip

Hip Senior Member

There is a huge difference in taste between soya milk brands: some taste horrible, others are very palatable, and some taste delicious. You must have bought a bad tasting brand. I also prefer the ones which have added sugar. Try the Alpro brand.
    snowathlete likes this.
  13. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Ahh! But the company is sooo good! :p
    allyb, Moxie and snowathlete like this.
  14. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Some things you can make at home ... I have a cheap little ice cream maker which I can use for coconut ice cream. Also a bread maker that handles gluten-free recipes, and even a stroopwafel maker :D

Almond milk is the best for drinking straight. It has a naturally sweet flavor that doesn't even need sugar added.

Coconut milk is great for baking, and if you get a can of the fatty stuff you can scrape off the top to use as "butter" on bread. You can even make whipped cream from it - put a can of unshaken high-fat coconut milk in the fridge for a few hours, then pull it out and beat the solid fatty part. Tastes divine :) Coconut ice creams from supermarkets (might need to find an organic/alternative supermarket) also are amazing. Way better than dairy, in my opinion.

You can also use Ghee, which is butter specially produced in a manner to be pure fat (so none of the naughty proteins).

Soy is nasty and seems to be something I might be developing a reaction to. Rice milk is also nasty, but very safe.
    cph13, Kina and snowathlete like this.
  15. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    It was alpro original. Sounds like it could have been even worse! Lol
  16. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Oh noooooo.... nooooo...:confused:
  17. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    You can still have lattes. For my birthday last year all of my kids pitched in to get me a Nespresso frother. Most almond milks make great foam. I use Trader Joes from the refrigerator case.
    brenda, Kina and Valentijn like this.
  18. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Maybe try the Alpro with added sugar (if that is acceptable for your diet). That tastes fine, nice even as a cold drink. The soya milks without sugar don't taste nice.

You can also consider lactose free milk, which you find in most supermarkets at no extra cost compared to regular milk. I find lactose free milk actually tastes slightly better than normal milk: it has a smoother texture.
  19. Me too - about to go dairy free for a week or two. Just went to Sainsbury's and they sell hemp milk there.
    I agree the soya brands vary enormously.
    I don't like the rice - but I have tried oat milk, not so good in coffee, but fine in my porridge . So I bought the almond to try....
    I found the lactose free can go off quite quickly , so I froze half to be on the safe side.
  20. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    The original one does have sugar in it anyway, I think. Certainly tasted very sweet.

Don't think Lactose free will be suitable for me as I am not lactose intolerant, the problem is casein.
    Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.