• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Soya milk tastes rank!

snowathlete

Found out today that dairy doesnt agree with me. I love milk and cheese, so pretty gutted. Thought I would try Soya milk see if its any good....It. Is. Disgusting!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Is it lactose or casein? I am imtolerant to casein so its mine is a pretty boring diet.
Almond milk, coconut, goat, hazelnut, rice milk. I never touch soya- yucky muck.

SOC

I don't try to drink soy mild straight. I agree that it's yuck. I don't mind it when I cook with it. I use the vanilla flavor with vanilla flavor protein powder in my daily green drink and it's okay. I guess I've just adapted to doing without milk "flavor" and am satisfied with soymilk creaminess when I need it.

I haven't tried almond milk yet. Is it substantially better?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Found out today that dairy doesnt agree with me. I love milk and cheese, so pretty gutted. Thought I would try Soya milk see if its any good....It. Is. Disgusting!

Argh, don't say that - I'm right behind you with the dairy thing - about to try out giving it up. :cry:

SOC

Argh, don't say that - I'm right behind you with the dairy thing - about to try out giving it up. :cry:

Daughter and I have discovered that we do okay with yogurt and cheese if we don't overdo it. That's supposed to mean we're lactose intolerant, but daughter was diagnosed as allergic to milk protein as an infant. She can't drink milk or eat ice cream. Oddly enough, Dairy Queen softserve is okay with her -- mostly soy and not enough milk to matter, maybe?

Anyway.....we gave up milk and ice cream without giving up all yogurt and cheese, which is a lot easier than losing dairy altogether.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I remember I used to make "ice cream" out of a banana and some frozen raspberries - you just blend them up and freeze it (I did it in individual portions). It was fantastic! Must try it again. With a bit of lemon juice to stop the banana browning.

Ema

And it's terrible for you so it works out that it tastes awful too! Soy can do a number on your endocrine system especially your thyroid and sex hormone levels. It may also interfere with the actions of enzymes that work to digest proteins and interfere with leptin metabolism. So you are hungrier sooner and yet may not be able to metabolize calories well. Add in estrogen dominance symptoms and it is a perfect recipe for metabolic crisis.

I use unsweetened almond milk occasionally for smoothies and the like. I can't say I have ever had it straight though.

Ema

My daughter is lactose intolerant. She was when she was young, grew out of it, and now it's back. We had mashed potatoes the other night made with soy milk -- disgusting. When she was two, we used to pretreat her milk with lactaid which reduces the lactose content in milk by 99 percent or so. It's expensive but well worth it if you like your milk. That was mainly because any other substitute would end up being hurled across the room.

It also seems to be related to amount. Small quantities of cheese and yogurt do not have much of an effect, larger ones do. Ice-cream in any amount bothers her and so does any amount of milk. We have started buying her sorbet which she likes instead of ice-cream.

SOC

And it's terrible for you so it works out that it tastes awful too! Soy can do a number on your endocrine system especially your thyroid and sex hormone levels. It may also interfere with the actions of enzymes that work to digest proteins and interfere with leptin metabolism. So you are hungrier sooner and yet may not be able to metabolize calories well. Add in estrogen dominance symptoms and it is a perfect recipe for metabolic crisis.

I use unsweetened almond milk occasionally for smoothies and the like. I can't say I have ever had it straight though.

Ema

Yikes! I do NOT need anything to contribute to estrogen dominance. Or more thyroid problems. Or interference with leptin metabolism. Maybe I'd better change to almond milk asap.

snowathlete

Is it lactose or casein? I am imtolerant to casein so its mine is a pretty boring diet.
Almond milk, coconut, goat, hazelnut, rice milk. I never touch soya- yucky muck.

Casein apparently. What a drag. I LOVE cheddar!! Pizza, Latte, Lasanya, it's all good.....except, it seems that it is not all good, for me. *Sigh*

I bought some almond milk so I will give that a go but nuts usually give me excema, so I am a little worried about that. Good to know I can try a couple of other things. Goat's milk I am apparently moderately intollerant to, so not sure about that one.

jeffrez

Almonds/nuts can be relatively high in arginine, which can be a problem if you're struggling with virus issues. In that case, rice milk might be your best bet.

SOC

Almonds/nuts can be relatively high in arginine, which can be a problem if you're struggling with virus issues. In that case, rice milk might be your best bet.

Sheesh! It never ends with this illness, does it? :rolleyes: Okay, rice milk it is unless someone knows of a reason that may be problematic. :D

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
snowathlete

I like Hemp Milk. To me it is the closest tasting to dairy--course I haven't tasted dairy in over a decade so I might not even remember! :D

And coconut mild yogurt is yummy! Rice cheese, well....:(

Sushi